1Password.app is damaged and can't be opened.

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password no longer filling logins after update.

Comments

• ddmini
    ddmini
    Community Member

After updating my 1 Mac to 6.7, I can only access 1Password via the desktop icon (mimi). When I try to open 1Passwrod from inside mini I get an error message. I have not yet updated my MacBook Air to 6.7 and I can access 1Password without any problem.
    David Minicucci

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ddmini: What is the error message you're seeing? That may help us find a solution for you.

• ddmini
    ddmini
    Community Member

The error message is: "1Password.app is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1Password.app and download it again from the App Store. (Note: I believe I purchased the OSX and IOS apps from the Apple App Store)
    David Minicucci

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @ddmini! Yes, if you're seeing that message, it means you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your Mac.

Your 1Password data is safe! That error is related to a certificate issue in the Mac App Store that can affect various apps (not just 1Password). You can solve it by following the steps in this support article: If you see the message "1Password is damaged and can't be opened"

Even if you need to delete & reinstall the 1Password app, you won't lose any of your data because that's stored in another location on your Mac (and not in the app file itself). When deleting the app, just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools.

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• ddmini
    ddmini
    Community Member

As you have suggested, I have restarted my iMac and signed out of the App Store. I then opened 1Password mimi and found that I still get the same error message if I try to open 1Password. Next I opened the Purchased tab in the App Store (after re-signing in) and find that opposite 1Password the box says "INSTALL", rather than "OPEN" or "DOWNLOAD". Should I still try and send the App to trash or attempt to install it?
    David

• ddmini
    ddmini
    Community Member

Further to my comment above, I have now looked at the App Store Purchased tab in my MacBook Air (which I never updated to v6.7 and on which I can open 1Password). On the MacBook Air opposite 1Password the box says "OPEN".
    David

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ddmini,

If the app on your iMac won't open because of the "1Password.app is damaged and can't be opened" error, you'll need to delete it first before you reinstall it from the Mac App Store. Just go to Applications and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete your data as well). Then you can go back to the Purchased tab in the Mac App Store and click the 'Install' button next to 1Password.

That should solve the problem, but let us know if you have any trouble with that! :)

• ddmini
    ddmini
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I now have 1Password working again on my iMac.
    David

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @ddmini! I'm glad it's working again. If you need more help or have any questions about 1Password, be sure to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.