Large type option missing from a Secure Note until edited

Options

Comments

• bennettsmith
    bennettsmith
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Apparently I had what I'll call a "legacy" secure note -- it used an ambiguous sans-serif font and did not have the large type option. After reading a more detailed related discussion (linked below), upon touching the password field while editing, only then did the monospace serif font and large type option become active in the secure note.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67771/is-it-possible-to-change-the-display-font-of-secure-notes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bennettsmith,

It sounds like this problem is a bit different than the topic of the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

Just to make sure I understand: It sounds like you added a password field to a Secure Note, but that field didn't have the Large Type option until you clicked Edit, clicked somewhere in the password field, and then clicked Save?

You referred to the Secure Note as "legacy" - do you mean it's an item you've had in your vault for a long time? Have you noticed the same problem with any other items?

Also, before you edited the item, was that field specifically set as a 'password' field? If not, that would explain why it appeared in a different font and didn't have a Large Type option. When editing an item and adding a custom field, you can make it a password field by clicking the button with the 3 dots to the right and selecting "password".

• bennettsmith
    bennettsmith
    Community Member
    Options

Gory details: It started as a secure note created in April 2015 and later modified in December 2016. With the passage of time, some of the following may not be exactly what happened, but in broad strokes I created it to hold an arduous to procure or renew digital ID certificate in various formats, as attachments to the secure note, and at some point I added a true password field to hold the password that protects / authorizes these certificates when adding them to browsers. I don't know if there was more than one option for creating the password field at the time, but that (still existing) secure note uses an ambiguous sans-serif font and does not have the pull-down menu with the large type option. Last week I duplicated the old secure note to hold a renewed version of the certificate, as a precursor to adding the renewed certificate to various browsers. While I had no problem with copy-n-pasting the password in Firefox on Windows to add the certificate, the Mac keychain inconveniently forces one to type in the password, and I experienced some anxiety when the Mac kept saying the password was wrong. It was only after I later copied the password into TextEdit and it was displayed in a serif font that I realized that I had been punked by the ambiguous font of the secure note. In a postmortem follow-up, after reading the discussion I linked to, I tried editing the new secure note, and merely touching the 3 dots of the existing password field resulted in it converting to the monospace serif font and large type option. So while "all's well that ends well", I'll be prepared for next time, and I'm fully sensitized to the issue, it was a bumpy (briefly scary and inefficient) ride. I haven't seen the problem in other entries -- these secure notes are apparently the only instances I have of a secure note with a true password field.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bennettsmith,

Thanks for the additional details, that's really strange! From your description, it sounds like that field was already set as a password field but wasn't acting like it. I'm glad editing the item and clicking the three dots fixed that. Hopefully it was just an odd quirk in that one specific item and won't happen in others. But if it does, please let us know and we can look further into it.

Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.