No Touch ID

rtpete
rtpete
Community Member

After the recent update Touch ID has completely disappeared from 1Password?!

Help! I certainly hate having to go back to the old-fashioned method of signing on rather than just using Touch ID.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rtpete,

Do you mean you no longer see the Touch ID option in 1Password > Preferences > Security? We occasionally hear about that happening, and it basically means the operating system isn't telling 1Password that Touch ID is available. If it happened after an update, try rebooting your Mac to see if that option reappears in the settings.

If it's still missing, we've heard from a few other customers that removing their fingerprints from System Preferences > Touch ID , rebooting the Mac, and then re-adding their fingerprints seems to solve the problem. If you try that, please let us know how it goes. Thanks! :)

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Yep! It's completely gone so now I will try the process of turning Touch idea on and off again and report back to my success or failure.

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Okay, the reinstall touch ID fingerprint worked and solve the problem. I sure hope this isn't a regular occurrence with each new update!?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @rtpete! I'm glad that solved the problem.

This shouldn't happen each time you update 1Password. In fact, 1Password doesn't have any control over Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Touch ID is provided by macOS, which only tells 1Password whether or not Touch ID is available, and whether or not your fingerprint is recognized. If the Touch ID setting is missing from 1Password, that means macOS isn't telling 1Password that Touch ID is available. That's why the solution involved changing something in your macOS preferences, and not in 1Password.

If you ever need more help with 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask us! We're always glad to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.