Moving from Dropbox

Options
dm_walker
dm_walker
Community Member

Hello,

I've been using 1Password for ages and all has been great. I'm now faced with the problem that my company now prevents the use of Dropbox. I know there is the option for iCloud but my work PC runs Windows 10.

Please can you advise what is the next best method to sync across multiple devices - I have an iPhone, iPad, Mac and the Windows 10 PC. Both the Mac and Win10 installed and registered from the website.

Thanks,
Dave.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dm_walker: If your company is blocking Dropbox, there's really only one way to automatically sync data between all platforms: 1Password.com. Certainly there are other benefits, like the web interface and not even having to think about licenses or sync configuration, but specific to your case the seamless sync should do quite nicely. Now, I can't guarantee that your company isn't blocking that as well, but you can try it for 30 days for free to see for yourself if that will work for you. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• dm_walker
    dm_walker
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your prompt reply. Can you give me a bit more background - I saw the option but not sure what the difference is. Is it that instead of storing my data in an opvault in Dropbox, it's now stored at 1Password.com? Will I need to install other software again or will it all work the same?
    Thanks, Dave.

• Ben
    Options

Dave,

You can read more about the difference here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

One of the differences is that instead of using a 3rd party sync service like Dropbox you instead use the 1st party 1Password.com to sync your data. There is no additional software to install -- just 1Password. If you've already got 1Password installed you're probably all set, except that on Windows you'd need to install 1Password 6 for Windows (you are likely using v4 now, which has been discontinued). Once you get an account set up you can download 1Password 6 for Windows here:

Downloads - 1Password

Thanks!

Ben

• dm_walker
    dm_walker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the assistance and prompt replies. Looks like I'll need to talk nicely to IT to get 1Password 6 installed and then start the trial.

Dave.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dm_walker: Totally! You don't want to get on their bad side! :lol:

But in all seriousness, if it helps, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app (which you'll use with a 1Password.com account) doesn't require admin rights to install/update. It will prompt for them, as it can support better diagnostics that way, but you can click "No" and the app will run just fine. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.