New Product Request: Predictive account selection

Options

If I have three accounts for google.com, I can press the hotkey for 1Password and it'll list the accounts and I have to choose one. As an optimization, if the user name field is detected and is pre-populated, it could use this information to pre-select the correct account of the options listed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @richelesro,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your suggestion. In this case it sounds like when you open a web page your browser is Autofilling your username and your suggestion would involve 1Password using this Autofilled information to distinguish between multiple Login options. It is a very intriguing solution.

If the browser Autofill is being used here as I believe it is, it would mean storing private information outside 1Password in a less secure way than 1Password would store it. Taking the example of google.com, your username for Google is the same as your Google email address and if you use Gmail as your primary email service then it's likely that you'll use this as your username for a lot of other websites. If you use the browser's built in mechanism to Autofill your username when the web page loads then there is a real risk that your username could be entered into websites that you don't intend on sharing your Google username with.

Thanks again for your suggestion, I don't think we will be adding this since it appears to rely on the browser Autofill feature which we recommend avoiding for the above reason. We would love to hear more ideas though, it seems you have an eye for interesting solutions :chuffed:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• richelesro
    richelesro
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what I'm asking is clear. Let's say I have three logins for Amazon, two of them being for AWS. Normally, I'm logged in with my consumer account. Amazon periodically asks me to log in again, but pre-fills the user name field. When I click the shortcut to fill in the password, it shows me all three logins and always highlights the wrong one. If 1Password read the user name and highlighted the correct currently configured login, it would facilitate those frequent re-logins.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @richelesro,

So I can certainly imagine how this might be done but I would have concerns over ensuring it's robust as flaky behaviour would would frustrate people rapidly. It would also likely require a number of changes to 1Password, more than you might first suspect as the filling code is essentially a black box to 1Password and 1Password does not work with the HTML at all. For this to work though there has to analysis of the page, accurate identification and then comparison to matching Login items while at the moment all 1Password uses is the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of the open page.

That isn't to say it isn't possible, just that as something becomes more complex it is evaluated accordingly as to whether the time could be better used elsewhere and achieve more. At the moment we're working on ensuring compatibility with future browser releases as well as migrating to a new method of communicating with 1Password due to the interference WebSockets can suffer. So we'll certainly keep this in mind but I can't promise anything.

This discussion has been closed.