New bellco.org page, username fills into "Ask Bellco" instead of correct field

Options

1Password offered to remember my username and password at bellco.org. However, when I try to fill in the page, 1Password puts my username into the "Ask Bellco" field instead of the username field. It may be related to Bellco somehow thinking that usernames should be secret, and marking it as a password field (although the field is called username).

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:bellco

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @d3zd3z,

Is it the default login form on the homepage which I'm assuming is for personal users and can you see if there is any difference if you manually save a new Login item using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser please. I created a test item but it filled the fields when I then tested. The good news is 1Password should be able to fill this page and if you're still experiencing an issue we just need to figure out what is different for us.

• d3zd3z
    d3zd3z
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to get this to work by removing the Bellco entry from my vault, and creating a fresh one with a manual save. I can't tell what is different, but it does now seem to work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @d3zd3z,

Very strange. At least the behaviour you're seeing now though matches what I found and of course works! The original should have worked as well so we may never discover the reason. If you find any weird behaviour returns though please do let us know.

• d3zd3z
    d3zd3z
    Community Member
    Options

When I originally saved the Bellco site, they had an extra field for "pin" that was also a password field. It may have something to do with naming or ordering of the form fields.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @d3zd3z,

Given they use a password field for the username an extra field that isn't normally there would cause confusion for 1Password. Is this PIN field something that pops up every so often or was it part of some sort of one time account activation?

• d3zd3z
    d3zd3z
    Community Member
    Options

It used to be part of the page, and recently they removed the pin from all their sites and apps. I suspect they hired an "expert" who informed them that splitting the password into two parts didn't help security. Apparently, they didn't convince them that the username isn't supposed to be a secret.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @d3zd3z,

On a positive note though they're making progress :smile: We learn about sites with weird notions on security from our users all the time. The most recent one that stands out to me is a site that secures an account with a four digit number...

Assuming no more changes to the site you should find the new Login item will be as reliable as the old one prior to the login page being altered.

This discussion has been closed.