Problem with Walgreens Site

Options

Username and password are not being entered in the login screen for https://www.walgreens.com/login.jsp. The login is setup to always submit. I tried deleting the old 1Password login, removing the 1Password browser extension (Firefox v53.0.2), downloading and reinstalling the extension from the 1Password app, and setting up a new login by manually logging in to the Walgreens site. Still no luck. Other sites appear to be working OK. Also had this problem from another computer (same OS and browser). There is no password for Walgreens saved by Firefox.

1Password Version: 6.7 (670008)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jasnw,

Do you happen to have the NoScript add-on for Firefox? If so, you need to whitelist (ALLOW) the sites: adobetm.com, walgreens.com and wag-static.com.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

No, only add-ons I have are AdblockPlus and 'Hide Tab Bar With One Tab'. The only plugin is Shockwave Flash set to 'Ask to Activate'.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jasnw,

Try disabling your Add-on's to test. You'll find that when the site isn't properly working, you'll get both username and password on the same page. When it works correctly, you'll get username on one page, and then password on the next.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Disabled everything, still no joy. The login page does show up with just the Username request, and has all along. When the login page first appears, it does an off/on "blink" right after loading. Nothing shows up in the Username box that I can see. When I click on the Walgreens entry in the 1Password browser extension nothing happens at all. No blink, nothing in the Username box.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jasnw,

Looks like they changed their login page a bit. However....

Perhaps you need to update the Firefox 1Password extension, and possible 1Password (I'm using the beta versions). The site does work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozw724d7mgbtpwh/walgreens.mp4?dl=0

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the latest version of both that are available to me. 1Password was updated on 29 April 2017, and I removed and reinstalled the browser extension as part of trying to make this problem go away.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

I notice that when the Walgreens login page came up in the example you left on Dropbox that both the Username and Password entry boxes were shown. When I go to the same URL, only the Username box shows. Also, why did it reject the first attempt, requiring you to re-enter the password?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jasnw,

My login/passsword values are bogus, so the page errors out. The example was to show that 1Password filled in the values I had in the entry.

With the change in the site, I now have to ALLOW monetate.com to get the single field on a page version. Also, you have to save the filled in username as a new login in order to allow 1Password to fill in the value (because the page has a different set of fields, 1Password doesn't recognize your existing field/value pairs due to how it calculates checksums for filling in the field data). With monetate.com forbidden, you'll get the two-field entry form I show in the video.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand most of what you just wrote. What is monetate.com, and how is it ALLOWed?

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Just did some looking using the Firefox debug window. Are you referring to monetate.net, which appears to be providing some sort of service to this web page? I completely disabled Adblock, so that can't be blocking anything. Still doesn't work. Not sure I'm happy with the idea of having to disable ad blocking just to get a login to work.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jasnw,

Yes, monetate.net, sorry about that! By ALLOW, I meant to prevent it from being blocked by whatever extension(s) you have enabled. Each extension has its own method of "whitelisting".

Websites almost always rely on one or more third part code and services for implementing not only their site but advertisements, icons, fonts, etc. The trouble with all these blocking extensions is that it requires end users like yourself to become familiar with these backend details. Otherwise, some sites won't work correctly, and users experience these types of peculiar failures. There will be some sites for which you will be required to enable certain unwanted "junk".

That said, I'm not sure why you see one behavior when I see a different one. I had just debugged this issue for a neighbor last week, and discovered the two different web login presentations (one with one page, one with two).

Did you create a NEW login with the filled in USERNAME (and PASSWORD if you get the two page entry) by using the EXTENSION to create that 1Password entry?

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, and I just did it again with the same negative result. I deleted the login, exited from Firefox, and restarted Firefox. I went to the Walgreen login page (gave it the URL, not through 1Password), entered the Username (only box showing) and clicked on Continue, entered the password, clicked on Continue. 1Password put up a dialog box asking to save this, which I did. Logged out and exited Firefox. Restarted Firefox, clicked on the Walgreens.com link in 1Password (browser extension), and same behavior as before.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Hold on for a minute. I want to redo this last step again with Adblocker disabled throughout the whole exercise.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, no change. I noticed that the 1Password Mini app was running while I was going through this latest attempt, so I ran it all again from scratch after turning Mini off, exiting both 1Password and Firefox, and then re-enabling Mini. Same result.

I'm noticing another difference between the video you posted and what I'm seeing at the login page. After the blink off/on a new button shows up at the bottom of the Sign In box stating "Need Help? Live Chat" (see attached image). That button is not there when the page is first posted. The cycle appears to be that the page posts, it blinks out and a spinner graphic shows briefly, then it blinks in and adds the Need Help button.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jasnw,

After you enter the Username, do not press Continue. Save the new Login at this point using the Extension. Then press Continue. Now enter the password and login. Open 1Password, and find the newly created Walgreen's entry. Add the password to the password field. Logout of the Walgreen's site, and close the page. Now you should be able to us the Open and Fill button or the 1Password extension to open the Walgreen's site, and the username will be filled in. Press Continue. This will go to the next page where the password will be filled. Press Continue again. I'm not sure if this site will be as automatic as others when there is a two-page username/password split.

On the other hand, if you have the monetate.net site blocked (using NoScript or similar), then you'll get the two page login. If you create a new separate Login with both the username and password filled in (before you hit Continue), then both will be filled in when you open the site via 1Password.

I created an account, and tried both ways - they both worked as I described above.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo! That worked.

I had tried this whole thing using Safari, which shows the Username and Password input box version of the login page (so much for browser-agnostic sites). However, the 1Password browser extension was still not able to communicate with the login page. Thanks for helping chase this down.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jasnw,

Sorry for the troubles your having! I just tried with Safari - the two-page version worked, as described above (since I don't have any blocking extensions in Safari, I can't test the single-page Login version).

Let's get some more info. What version of the extension do you have installed? I have 4.6.5.b3.

I see we also have different 1Password versions. I have:

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.BETA-2 (680002)
    AgileBits Beta

Sounds like you've made some progress!

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I just noticed that there may be some non-printing characters showing up in the password that the extension got when I entered it through the login page rather than through 1Password. They look the same when viewed in 1Password, but the "strength" of the one that came from the login dialog was much higher than the one I entered directly in 1Password. I tried using copy and paste to look at the password strings from these two cases, but they come out identical. Something odd is going on, in any event.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, ignore that last comment (although something odd is going on). I just made a test 1Password login with that same password through the 1Password app, and the password strength for the same password matches that of the through-the-login-page password and is much higher than the manually-entered password. Go figure.

I've got a 4.6.5 version showing for the extension, which I installed (several times) today.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jasnw,

The password strength meter is very broken.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jasnw @MrC,

I've taken a peek and can reproduce the issue with walgreens. If Firefox displays just the single field version of the login form I see the strategy 1Password picks is to only fill a password field. Clearly not a great decision on 1Password's part and something we'll need to investigate.

ref: BRAIN-369

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Knowing you can replicate the problem makes me feel a bit less paranoid. The Internet is NOT trying to drive me crazy after all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, at least it's not intentional. We'll see what we can do to improve this. :)

This discussion has been closed.