Poor Rendering in Dark Mode

coneybeare
coneybeare
Community Member

This wasn't always the case, but in Dark Mode on a Mac, the text rendering is horrible on the 1Password screen. This occurs on both a retina screen, and a standard resolution density monitor.

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dark

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@coneybeare: Can you explain what you're referring to? I'm not seeing anything different between the text on 1Password mini and the other windows in your screenshot, and similarly don't see any differences on my own MacBook. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.

• coneybeare
    coneybeare
    Community Member

Its definitely not as clean. The text within 1Password Mini has some pretty rough edges, and the dark non-rounded corners is also off. When I first saw these two UI issues from your company—which normally has very good UI—my initial reaction was that somehow my app had been compromised. After digging around I see that it wasn't, but the issues still bug me enough to report them.

Please compare the dark mode vs light mode photos I am uploading here for an example.

• coneybeare
    coneybeare
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

In case it wasn't clear in those photos, the top one was taken in Light Mode, the bottom in Dark Mode. Notice how there is a heavier font weight in Dark, and rougher edges, maybe something with anti-aliasing. Also the dark corners of the screen that are not rounded are much more apparent in dark mode, though also visible in light mode to a less striking degree.

• @coneybeare,

This is a known issue with mini due to our setting the "appearance" of the window to dark. It impacts any and all text fields on the window so that they are appropriate for that mode. The reason it looks so off is that the rest of the window remains the same in appearance between the two modes. We're looking at ways to improve this in the future.

Rudy

• coneybeare
    coneybeare
    Community Member

Great. Please chime in here when you guys address the issue

• We'll try to do so, but the best way to find out about fixes is to read the release notes.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.