Recover 1Password Data

Options
JenW
JenW
Community Member

Hi all - This is my last ditch effort. My iPhone died and i didn't have any backups. So I sent to DriveSavers in CA, who extracted all of the files they could off my dead phone. I am trying to figure out how to get my 1PW data back onto my iPhone. First, I am having trouble finding an actual data file because everything is named with a bunch of random characters. I searched for "1Pass" and found one file, but not sure it's the data file. I tried to do file sharing in iTunes, but that didn't work. I tried the recovery in the old version of 1PW, but no luck. I tried the new 1PW and putting the file I found on Dropbox, but it didn't recognize the "vault". Anyway, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing and would appreciate any ideas anyone has. I am desperate to get my information back (and have learned my lesson about backing up!).
Thanks!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @JenW,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I take it you were not using a 1Password.com subscription account? If my guess is wrong and you do have an account then you can access your data simply by signing into your account on your new phone. :)

That aside, could you please let me know what the name of the file you found is?

Thanks.

Ben

• JenW
    JenW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben - I honestly am not sure. I just remember importing my data from the old 1PW app (3.x) to the newer one (6.4). I don't think I was ever prompted to create a subscription.

The file doesn't have a logical name - it's like "f7b8....". Here is what the contents look like:

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately that is simply a log file. It does not contain your 1Password data. The file you'd need would have a .sqlite or .1ptbackup extension. Do you see any files that might belong to 1Password with those extensions?

Ben

• JenW
    JenW
    Community Member
    Options

No, I don't have files with those extensions. Are those the file names when the files are on an iPhone? Or are they the backup names when they are backed up on a mac (or both)? My iPhone was literally taken apart by DriveSavers and they pulled all the data off - so I am weeding through a bunch of files that have no logical file names. I have hundreds of them - like 100GB of files. Any other suggestions :)

• Ben
    Options

The .sqlite file is the "live" 1Password database that would be on the phone. The .1ptbackup file is what 1Password generates when you create a backup. The file would exist both on the phone and on whatever device you backed it up to.

Ben

• JenW
    JenW
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all of your help today. I spoke to Drive Savers and they suggested that I restore my phone from the full backup they provided - that I won't be able to isolate that file, unfortunately! Thanks anyway for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. Sorry we couldn't be of more assistance!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.