Please make password generator available in locked state

riclewis
riclewis
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

It's a bit frustrating that one of the nicest functions of the program is only available when unlocked. There are plenty of times throughout the day where I'd like to generate a password that I don't need 1Pass to save.

I understand it's probably a user behaviour thing whereby you're worried that people will start filling out passwords and mistakenly think that the program is saving their info. However that big "lock" icon is pretty hard to misread.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@riclewis: The lock screen is only shown when 1Password is locked. And when 1Password is locked, the whole vault is encrypted ad 1Password does not have the ability to read or write there. So it's important that 1Password not generate passwords in that case since they cannot be saved, either to a Login item or as a Password item to serve as a safety net. I can totally appreciate wanting to have the convenience of accessing more functions even while 1Password is locked, but it's pretty important that we don't put users in a position to set an unguessable password for a website and immediately lock themselves out just because they didn't unlock 1Password first.

• riclewis
    riclewis
    Community Member

Yeah I figured that it was a precaution on the part of the developers.

Can I change tack and ask that the Mini window not close upon copying the password? I can't think of a good reason why it should do that, it already correctly dismisses when you click outside it. When you go back in to Mini, the password has changed, so you're left questioning your sanity as to what just happened and whether it was copied correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@riclewis: Ah, that's an interesting point! That's something I've noticed from time to time as well, but we don't get much feedback on this. Can you tell me the scenario where you're copying a generated password and want to stay in 1Password mini? But if it's just a matter of verifying the password or getting it again, you can always grab it from the newly saved Password item (which was created when you clicked Copy).

This discussion has been closed.