To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I add a Dropbox vault as an additional vault when I'm synced through 1Password?

Options
dangr
dangr
Community Member

I have a business account subscription through 1Password.com, and that's the vault that's set up on my work computer. I'd like to add my personal account, which is synced only through Dropbox, onto my work computer. I synced that folder, but when I double click on my vault in Dropbox, I get the error "Can't open keychain Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts."

Is there another way to import my personal vault without syncing it through another service?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I add a Dropbox vault as an additional vault when I'm synced through 1Password?

Comments

• Hey @dangr thanks for reaching out on the forum, this is a great question. Before I dive into the details of getting things setup with your existing personal vault, have you thought about using 1Password.com outside of work? This would make things seamless with your personal and business accounts and you'd get all the added benefits of being able to view from the web if you ever lose your device, always having the latest and greatest versions of the apps, and then also being able to store documents as well. I'd definitely check it out:

https://1password.com

And if you've got any loved ones that you could share 1Password with, 1Password Families is where there are a ton more benefits... like setting up shared vaults and helping people recover their accounts to name a few.

https://1password.com/families/

Now, for your existing setup, you'll need to complete a couple simple steps to get things working. Inside of 1Password for Mac, open the Preferences panel (⌘+COMMA). Click the Advanced tab on the far right, then find the last check box at the bottom labeled "Local Vaults" and make sure it is checked. Once you check that box, you'll be prompted to create a new local Primary vault. Your new primary vault will be created using the same master password as your existing business account. After you've got your primary vault created, you'll now have the Sync tab inside of Preferences panel. You'll want to configure your primary vault to sync with the existing vault in Dropbox.

If you're using a different master password between your 1Password.com account and your vault in Dropbox, there are some additional steps. Let me know if you need those.

Hope that helps!

• dangr
    dangr
    Community Member
    Options

That worked perfectly, thank you! I was using a different password so had to go through those other steps but was easy enough.

• Great news @dangr! Glad to hear you got things working!

This discussion has been closed.