On iOS, generating a password for a new login

Options
justme12
justme12
Community Member
edited May 2017 in iOS

Am I missing something but to use 1PW to generate a password in iOS Safari for a new login, I must do this all in 1PW? Safari Keychain offers a PW suggestion, but would prefer to have 1PW do it.

Then if I go into 1PW on the iPhone I have to actually create a login in order to copy the generated password. You can't just copy the generated pw in the generator? Am I missing a step? I have to create a bogus login, save it - THEN copy the new generated pw.

All apps and iOS on latest updated versions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @justme12,

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Are you trying to generate a password for an existing login? If so you can open the login in the 1Password Safari extension:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Tap the edit button on the login in question, select the password field, and tap "generate new password." This will overwrite the old password, but the old password is saved in the "previously used passwords" section of the item.

I hope that helps. If you were asking a different question could you please elaborate? Thanks!

Ben

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member
    Options

No trying to have 1PW generate for a new login.

If I'm in Safari on iPhone, new site and create a login - Keychain offers a pw to enter when I enter the pw box, but I do not see 1PW at all to generate a pw in Safari.

Then if I go to and open the 1PW app, the only way I have found to even access the PW generator is to either go to an existing login, go in edit mode and then generate a pw. And the only way to copy this new pw is to allow 1pw to enter it in this existing login being use just to generate a pw. Why can't I just copy the new pw I see in the generator window without have to modify an existing login?

If I create a new login using the + symbol, same issue really. Create the login, just to get the pw generator to appear. Save this login, then now I can copy the pw. Go BACK to Safari and paste it into the new site.

Why can't this all take place in Safari using 1PW?

My example is going to eBates in iOS Safari. Select create account. Fill in details, email name etc… get to password field keychain offers a pw. How do I use 1PW to do this?

Then if I copy the Yahoo URL of create an account into the 1Password growers in 1PW - tap into the password field, 1PW still doesn't offer a password.

It appears if I am creating a new website login what I need to do is go to 1PW first, crate a login, save it, copy it, then go back to Safari and paste it. A lot of steps.

I hope I was more clear?

first screenshot is the new login in iOS Safari - the second screenshot is the same URL in the 1PW Browser. Why no pw suggestion?

• Ben
    Options

@justme12

Why can't this all take place in Safari using 1PW?

It can. Please see this guide:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

:)

Ben

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks @Ben - that cleared it up.

My issue was if I tapped into the pw field, than the share icon is not accessible. And I only had keychain pw.

Appreciate your help solving my issue.

• Ben
    Options

Ah! You can simply hit cancel when Apple's suggested password pops up. You can turn that off entirely if you'd like:

1. Open your iPhone's Settings.
    2. Scroll to the fourth group of options and select iCloud.
    3. Scroll to the Keychain option and select it.
    4. Slide the iCloud Keychain switch left to the Off position.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.