Master password not being accepted *inside the application*.

seangrimes590
seangrimes590
Community Member

I just changed my master password for the vault that I sync with dropbox, 1password.opvault. I opened 1password on my phone, which opened with the old master password, not ideal, and then it's trying to sync by asking me for the new master password. I give it the new master password and it doesn't accept it. Go back to my mac, open 1password, specifically entering password instead of using the fingerprint reader, opens fine and displays all my data. At this point I decided I didn't have a lot of confidence in what was happening so I try to export all items, it asks me for the master password so I enter the new master password. It doesn't accept the new master password. I enter the old master password. It doesn't accept the old master password. I lock the vault, unlock the vault with the new master password, however it still won't accept either the new or old master password on android or when trying to export items. Not feeling very good about the state of my passwords right now so I've started manually copying them to a text file. Any suggestions on how to proceed here that doesn't involve manually copying all data to a text file?

As a side note, I've paid for 1password but don't seem to be able to move that license to android.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:fuck

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @seangrimes590,

I'm sorry you're having trouble after changing your master password! Assuming your Primary vault is syncing correctly between your Mac and iPhone via Dropbox, then after changing the master password for the Primary vault on your Mac, you need to unlock 1Password on your iPhone with the old master password and allow it to fully sync with Dropbox. Then the next time 1Password is locked on your iPhone, you'll be able to unlock it with the new master password. The reason you need to do this is because the 1Password app doesn't sync until it's unlocked. Once it syncs, the new master password should work.

However, you mentioned something which may or may not be part of the problem:

I opened 1password on my phone ... and then it's trying to sync by asking me for the new master password.

On your iPhone, 1Password shouldn't ask for your new master password in order to sync - unless sync was disabled and you're trying to re-enable it. Can you please elaborate on when you were asked for the new master password?

As for the problem trying to export data on your Mac, I don't know why it isn't accepting your master password when you try to do that, but exporting your data won't help to solve the problem with your master password on your iPhone, and might make things even more confusing. Once we've sorted things out with Dropbox and syncing and your master password, we can make sure the export option works if you'd like, but for now it's best to not do that.

Please let us know more about what happened after unlocking 1Password on your iPhone with your old master password, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• seangrimes590
    seangrimes590
    Community Member

@Drew_AG ,

Thanks for the response. I'm not using an iPhone, I'm using Android. I did unlock the vault with the old master password, which was fine, but then it popped up a message asking me to verify the master password once the sync started; this is where neither the new nor the old master passwords are accepted.

The Mac problem is different. I can unlock the vault to access the data however when I try to change the master password again, or when I try to export the data, it asks for the current master password. This prompt accepts neither the new master password nor the old master password despite the vault being initially unlocked with the new master password.

• seangrimes590
    seangrimes590
    Community Member

An update on this; I restored from a backup with the old master password and tried changing the master password again. It worked this time on all devices. Might be worth checking into corner cases in the code for syncing these changes to Dropbox since it seems the initial attempt corrupted the data in some way. Let me know if your devs wants anything from me, I should have a backup from after the initial password change attempt.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @seangrimes590,

I'm really happy to hear it all works as expected after restoring from a backup! I don't know what went wrong the first time you tried changing your master password, that's very unusual and I haven't heard of that happening before. You should be all set now, but if you run into more problems or have any questions, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.