Please do ANYTHING against the Spam Block!

ChocolateCheesecake
ChocolateCheesecake
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Lounge

I only answered TWO times in ONE thread within about 10 minutes and edited one of the posts maybe twice and the other one only once.

If this doesn't get fixed soon, I might be gone... and will be very sad. :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ChocolateCheesecake

Thanks for the feedback here. I understand your frustration, please please try to understand that the flood control settings are in place to prevent spam bots from taking over. It is unlikely that these settings will change. We feel it is pretty reasonable to limit responses to two per minute, which is the block that you ran into in your screenshot.

The unfortunate bit is that edits count as responses, and that isn't something we have the ability to change (or we probably would). It sounds like that is why you ran into this block with legitimate posts (multiple edits). All I can really suggest there is proofreading and use of the 'Preview' feature prior to hitting the 'Post Comment' button.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but hope you understand why these protections are in place.

Thanks.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Indeed, even with the current spam measures, some still gets through. I wish none of this were necessary, but the priority is to keep things friendly and clean here for everyone who visits — even if you're frustrated right now.

And I'm going to have to take an opposing stance on edits. While I can appreciate that these aren't technically full posts, they might as well be. Even were it possible, I'd argue that not including edits in the post throttling leaves a huge loophole for spammers, who could then easily create innocuous posts and then change them to whatever they like. That's also why there's a time limit on edits.

I'm not a fan of any of these measures (though especially the second: edit time limit), and in a perfect world none of these should be necessary. But they are, and the most important thing is that the support forum is a place where people feel safe, so they can get help when they need it without having to wade through a bunch of spam. The last thing we want is for some spam to get through and for someone to follow a link that takes them somewhere bad.

I'm sorry that this has had a negative impact on your experience here (and a few others, from time to time), but I hope you'll understand this. And it never hurts to go grab a sandwich! I go for a glass of water any time I have connection issues, or am waiting for something to install/update. Which is more often than I'd like, but it could be worse. ;)

This discussion has been closed.