To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key questions

Options
jkav
jkav
Community Member

I have just signed up for the 1PW subscription model and are a former user of the desktop app. If for whatever reason, I lose my security key, as long as I have a working device, like a Mac or iPhone, and I know my master password, I should be able to get in and export all data easily correct? I'm just thinking long term that if my mac ever crashes or I lose my phone, that I can get back in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Lost

Comments

• Frank
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @jkav - Thank you for reaching out to us and I'll do my best to assist :smile: Congrats on the new 1Password membership!

If for whatever reason, I lose my security key, as long as I have a working device, like a Mac or iPhone, and I know my master password, I should be able to get in and export all data easily correct?

You're correct. After you add your 1Password.com account to the apps, you don't have to enter the Secret Key only your Master Password to unlock it. As long as the device has been authorized, you can locate your Secret Key from any of device (as long as you're signed into the account). I would also highly recommend printing your Emergency Kit and storing it in a safe & secure location. This contains your login details including your Secret Key and space to write in your Master Password.

So if your Mac crashed, you should be able to recover the Secret Key from your iPhone vice versa. But it's a good idea to have the Emergency Kit printed as a backup. I hope this helped and let us know if you have any additional questions. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• jkav
    jkav
    Community Member
    Options

Ok cool. How can I be sure that you guys won't delete my data if my 1PW membership lapses?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @jkav - Good question! I don't have the super powers to delete your account. We have very little access to your account as possible. The only way we can delete anything is by sending you over a special link via email that will give you the ability to delete the account on your end. If your account lapses you will still be able to access everything but you won't be able to edit any of the data or access certain features. I'm here to help, let me know if you have any additional questions. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.