I'm not clear on a basic concept of family Vaults.

Options
k8user
k8user
Community Member

If I have a password, for instance, Amazon.com, that I want to access from any of my devices, my husband's devices, and my children's devices (all are in the family plan) where do I put it?
It's now in my vault.. Do I delete the one in my vault and just use the shared vault? Or does the shared vault sync with my vault so if I change a password in my vault it's the same in the shared vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @k8user - Great question! Only you have access to your Personal vault and the same goes for each family member. By default, every family member receives a Personal & Shared vault. The Shared vault is where you want to "copy" items over to share with the rest of the family. When you "copy" the item over to the Shared vault, the original item will remain in your Personal vault. If you ever make a change to the item, you will have to copy it back over to the Shared vault. You also have the option to "move" items over which will remove it from your Personal vault. Any changes you make to the item will then sync over.

You can also create as many vaults as you want to better manage and organize your data. Maybe you want to create a vault for just the kids and then you'll have another Shared vault for you and your husband. I hope this helped a bit. Let me know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help out :smile:

• k8user
    k8user
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

So I need to move my only amazon.com "item" to the Shared Vault. If I keep it in my Personal Vault and change it then no one would have access to my new pw.
    The "kids" are 39 and 45 and are two of the five Family members. I'm trying to make things simpler for them when I die (a minute from now or in 20 or 30 years) and also keep things simple for my husband who has trouble holding information in his mind.
    It looks like my husband and I should keep ALL of our "items" in the Shared Vault so I can keep everything updated on our six devices and the kids can access the Shared Vault if necessary.

• Frank
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @k8user - Your understanding is spot on! When you move the Amazon item to the Shared vault, if you update your password for the account, the changes will sync over to the Shared vault. :+1: It's a great idea to plan for an emergency. It's one of the reasons I signed up for 1Password Families. I added all my banking and medical information to our Shared vault so my wife has access to this in the case of an emergency.

You can definitely add everything to the Shared vault so everyone on the account will have access to this in the case of an emergency. Just make sure everyone prints out their Emergency Kits which contains their login details and there's a space for to write in the Master Password as well. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions. Enjoy the rest of your day! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.