multiple sign-in pages

Options
raahh
raahh
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,
Is there a way to use 1password to auto-login into a bank site such as Tangerine.ca?

That site has a multiple sign-in process that's on two different pages.
For example, first you need to enter your bank card or client ID which then
takes you to another webpage. On the next page is where you enter
your password or code.
My question is is there a way to automate the entire process so you could just
enter your credentials on the first page, press 'go' and it then moves to the next page
triggering 1password to then enter the password/code and from there entering the banking
details page.

hopefully that made sense.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 pro
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My question is is there a way to automate the entire process so you could just enter your credentials on the first page, press 'go' and it then moves to the next page

@raahh: No. 1Password only takes action on a page when you tell it to, so you will need to click the 1Password button and select the login, or press Ctrl \ on any page where you want 1Password to fill something.

That said, while multi-step login processes are not particularly user-friendly, there's often a workaround so that 1Password can be used. Please try the steps in this guide to see if it helps in this case (it isn't something I can test myself):

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

Alternatively, in some cases creating a "generic" (for lack of a better term) login by hand in the main 1Password app itself will work across multiple pages (it really depends on how the site is designed):

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. Create a new Login item
    3. Fill in the username, password, and website fields
    4. Save it and try it in the browser

In this case, since 1Password has no information about the page, it won't be trying to fill the form it originally saved even if it changes. It will just do its best to find a username and password field. Period. I've found this to be useful on sites that serve a different page based on the user agent (mobile versus desktop, for instance). Let me know if this helps! :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Thanks for the response. I tried what you suggested but it didn't work unfortunately.
    Ctrl \ didn't do anything on the second page.

It's okay, I thought it'd be nice to have it work but what's another 5 seconds.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @raahh,

Sorry to hear that didn't work. The article from Brenty's link has you save a Login item from the first page (where it asks for username / bank card / client ID / etc), and then update that Login from the second page when you enter your password. You might want to try saving a new Login item from the second page when you enter your password, and then edit that new Login item in 1Password by filling in the 'username' field. I don't know if that will work for the particular site you're having trouble with, but it's worth a shot.

With a multi-page sign-in form, you won't be able to fill the fields on both pages by using ctrl \ only once. Because this site has 2 different pages/web forms, you'll need to use ctrl \ (or the 1Password extension) twice - once on the first page and once on the second page. But if nothing happens when you use ctrl \ on the second page (and you've tried creating the Login item using the different methods we've mentioned), it could be that the second page is doing something different that prevents the 1Password extension from working.

If you need more help or have questions about that, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.