I cannot open 1P on my backup computer with my master password.

awerneke
awerneke
Community Member

My backup computer is a Mac running 10.8.5 with 1Password 4. I checked for updates and got a message that it is up to date. The master password works on my primary computer but will not open 1P on the backup computer. I keep getting the shaking login with a message that says the password is incorrect. I do not have the Caps key selected. I have not logged into 1P on the backup computer any time recently. I use the backup computer rarely and may not have logged into 1P on it for quite some time. Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.8.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot open 1P on my backup computer with my master password.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@awerneke: If you made a change to your 1Password vault on another computer, or it has become damaged or corrupt, that will sync via Dropbox as well. There isn't a newer version of 1Password that will run on that old OS X version. Which other devices are you using 1Password on, and where do you have your most current data — hopefully that you're able to access?

• awerneke
    awerneke
    Community Member

I don't think this is a corruption issue. I can log in to my primary MacBook Pro as well as my iPad with my master password and in fact just did so to access my login for AgileBits. It is only 1P on my old MBP that will not accept my master password and open. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @awerneke,

You mentioned it's been a long time since you used 1Password on your older Mac. Is it possible you've changed your master password on one of your other devices since then? If so, 1Password 4 on your older Mac is expecting the old master password. You'll need to enter that first (assuming you remember it), and after it finishes syncing with Dropbox, it should work with the new master password.

On the other hand, if you haven't changed your master password, and you're sure you're entering the correct one on the older Mac, we can help you to reset 1Password 4 on that Mac and then set it up again by syncing your data from Dropbox. It sounds like all your latest data is on your MacBook Pro and/or your iPad), so you won't lose anything by resetting 1Password 4 on the older Mac (but let us know if I'm wrong about that). Thanks!

• awerneke
    awerneke
    Community Member

What if I don't recall the prior password? I know what it is but not if I used any caps or symbols to spell it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @awerneke,

If you know the old password, feel free to try entering it as many times as you want (using different capitalization, symbols, etc). If you get it right, 1Password will unlock and then sync with Dropbox (assuming that's still enabled in the sync settings). Your current master password should work once the sync is complete.

If you're unable to figure out the exact old master password (and therefore can't unlock 1Password 4), just let us know and we'll explain how to reset 1Password on that Mac so you can start over and sync your vault from Dropbox.

• awerneke
    awerneke
    Community Member

I figured out the old password and got in. 1P / Preferences / Sync says it has synced but when I quit 1P and try to log back in with the current password, 1P still rejects it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @awerneke,

I'm glad to hear you remembered the old master password!

As for the master password change not syncing, it's been a long time but I believe there was a small bug in version 4 of 1Password which caused that. It was fixed in newer versions, but the workaround in 1Password 4 is to manually change it to the new master password. Just go to 1Password > Preferences > Security and click the Change Master Password button. You'll need to first enter the one that works to unlock 1Password 4, then you can enter the one you're using on your other devices so they all match. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

Please let us know how it goes and if you have more questions. And have a great weekend! :)

• awerneke
    awerneke
    Community Member

Voila! That worked! Thanks so much, Drew!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! You're very welcome @awerneke, I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.