Cannot open my 1PW account on OS X Sierra. IOS is fine. Help!

dfr36
dfr36
Community Member

1PW opens fine on my IOS devices, but won't accept the same password on my iMac running Sierra.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot open my 1PW account on OS X Sierra. IOS is fine. Help!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dfr36,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your master password! I'm sure we can help to figure this out, but we'll need a few more details about what's happening on your Mac.

For example, are you entering you master password in the 1Password app on your Mac, or are you trying to sign into an account on the 1Password.com website? Or are you trying to unlock 1Password mini / browser extension? (And if so, are you able to unlock the main app?)

If you're entering the master password in the main 1Password app, are you trying to set it up for the first time by choosing "Sync using iCloud" from the 'Welcome' screen? Or do you see the main lock screen when you open it, and just see a field that says "Enter your Master Password"? Or something else?

Were you previously able to unlock 1Password on your Mac? If so, did you recently change your master password from one of your other devices? When did the problem start?

Also, do you have a 1Password.com account? Were you using 1Password before signing up for the account? And if so, before you signed up on 1Password.com, were you using a different master password to unlock the app on your Mac or iOS devices?

If you can describe the exact steps you're taking and what happens when you do that, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working. Thanks in advance! :)

• dfr36
    dfr36
    Community Member

I'm trying to sign in to 1PW on my iMac, but the PW keeps being rejected. The PW works fine on my iPhone and on my iPad, but not n my iMac. When I start 1PW on my iMac , I see the main lock screen and enter the PW in the space provided. This problem began about 24 hours ago. I changed the master PW at that time, and I've been unable to sign in with any PW on the iMac and the new PW works fine on my IOS devices.. I do have a 1Password acct. but I don't know when I signed up for it.

• dfr36
    dfr36
    Community Member

I notice that, on my IOS devices, the PW stored on the Logins page for 1PW is the old one rather than the new. The app accepts only the new PW, however.

• dfr36
    dfr36
    Community Member

I am submitting a 1Password Diagnostics Report to support@agilebits.com for your information.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @dfr36!

I changed the master PW at that time, and I've been unable to sign in with any PW on the iMac and the new PW works fine on my IOS devices.

Did you change the master password in the 1Password app on your Mac, the 1Password app on one of your iOS devices, or from your account settings on the 1Password.com website?

Also, do you happen to remember the exact steps you took to change the master password? If so, that might help us figure out what's going on.

I do have a 1Password acct. but I don't know when I signed up for it.

You also mentioned that you sync with iCloud, but 1Password.com accounts always sync through our own servers and not through other sync services such as iCloud or Dropbox. So I think you might still have a local vault in 1Password on your Mac (or on your iOS devices). A local vault isn't part of your 1Password.com account so it will have its own master password, and that master password might not be the same as the one you use for your account. It's possible that's causing the confusion/problem here.

I notice that, on my IOS devices, the PW stored on the Logins page for 1PW is the old one rather than the new.

If that's a Login item you created yourself, it won't automatically update itself when you change your master password.

In addition to the questions above, it will also help if you can let us know the following:

• On your Mac, open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar. Click on the Accounts tab. Is your 1Password.com account listed there?
    • In the same Preferences window, do you see a Sync tab? If so, click on it. What vaults are listed there?
    • On each iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > 1Password Accounts. Is your 1Password.com account listed there?
    • Go back to the Settings screen and tap on Vaults. Do you see a vault named Primary there?
    • Go back to the Settings screen. Do you see an option for Sync? If so, tap on it - what vaults are listed there?

Thanks very much in advance! I think we're close to figuring this all out. :)

• dfr36
    dfr36
    Community Member

Answers in order:
    Yes, my account is listed there.
    There is no sync tab there.
    Yes, my account appears in the setting on both IOS devices
    There is no vault named "Primary" on either device
    There is no option for "Sync" on either
    Now, I signed up for a 6-month trial of something with you a couple of months ago, but I can't remember what that was for. Can you tell?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @dfr36! I had suspected you still had a local Primary vault on at least one of your devices, but it sounds like you don't. That simplifies things a bit, although I'm not sure why your new master password isn't working on your Mac. If you're signed into the same account on each device, they are all syncing through our servers and should match each other (including changes to your master password).

Now, I signed up for a 6-month trial of something with you a couple of months ago, but I can't remember what that was for. Can you tell?

Yes - you signed up for a 1Password.com account, which is a subscription service we introduced last year. It's definitely the best and easiest way to use 1Password, and you can find more information here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

One of the features of an account is that you can access your data from 1Password.com in a web browser. If you try to sign into your account on 1Password.com, does it accept your new master password?

Also, are you able to unlock 1Password on your Mac with your previous master password? (You shouldn't need to, but if that works, it might be a clue about the problem.)

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.