I forgot the pin code to unlock 1password on my iphone 5s. How to I generate a new pin code?

Options
anne_steffen
anne_steffen
Community Member

i was sure I got the correct pin. I had my phone exchanged because the old one was damaged and reinstalled all data via icloud. Now the (new) iphone will no longer accept my pin code.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I forgot the pin code to unlock 1password on my iphone 5s. How to I generate a new pin code?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anne_steffen: You can unlock with your Master Password instead and then disable it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• anne_steffen
    anne_steffen
    Community Member
    Options

many thanks for your reply, Brenty. What do you mean by "disable IT"? Disable the master password? If I did that, I suppose I would be asked for the pin code to open the app, but, as I mentioned before, I do not know the correct pin code at the moment. So I need to generate a new pin code. BUT HOW DO I DO THIS? Sorry!

• Ben
    Options

@anne_steffen

Sorry for the confusion. Brenty meant after unlocking with the Master Password you can disable the PIN code. You can do that in 1Password > Settings > Security. If you turn the PIN off and then back on you'll be able to select a new PIN.

The Master Password cannot be disabled. It is what is used to encrypt your data. If you forget it there is no way to recover.

Thanks.

Ben

• anne_steffen
    anne_steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, there is no "disable Pin code" option under Security. There is just a "Touch ID" option which I don't want. The master Password can stay the same, but where do I find the Pin code function if not under "Settings">"Security"? May be I should mention that I live in Germany so I have the "German Version" of the 1Password 6.5.4

• Ben
    Options

@anne_steffen

Ah, it sounds like the problem is that you enabled Touch ID on your device after setting 1Password up with a PIN code, or restored 1Password from a backup of a device that did not have Touch ID.

On Touch ID enabled devices the option to enable a PIN is unavailable. You'd either have to use Touch ID or the Master Password to unlock 1Password. It isn't possible to set a new PIN unless you want to disable Touch ID on the device entirely (not recommended).

Thanks.

Ben

• anne_steffen
    anne_steffen
    Community Member
    Options

**That sounds correct, Ben, many thanks for your answer although it's a shame I cannot set up a pin any longer! I don't really trust touchID so I might have to stick with the master password. Too bad!

• Ben
    Options

@anne_steffen

Touch ID is more secure, in most scenarios, than a 4 digit PIN.

With Touch ID the probability of a fingerprint matching is 1:50000 while the probability of guessing a four digit passcode is 1:10000. Of course if you use a strong Master Password, that is even better.

Ben

• anne_steffen
    anne_steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you for the information, Ben! Now, if I just activate Touch ID in "Settings", where do I create the fingerprint? Will this happen as soon as I leave "Settings"? Also, I do not want my Master Password saved anywhere other than in my memory, but obviously with TouchID it will be saved in the "Schlüsselbund" (Sorry, I don't know the Enhlish word for that...). Anne

• Ben
    Options

@anne_steffen,

1Password does not collect your fingerprint(s). That is handled entirely by iOS when you enable Touch ID on your device:

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Also, I do not want my Master Password saved anywhere other than in my memory, but obviously with TouchID it will be saved in the "Schlüsselbund" (Sorry, I don't know the Enhlish word for that...).

Right; same as using a PIN for 1Password would do. You can read more here:

About Touch ID security in 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, I do not want my Master Password saved anywhere other than in my memory, but obviously with TouchID it will be saved in the "Schlüsselbund" (Sorry, I don't know the Enhlish word for that...).

@anne_steffen: Google Translate says "key ring", so I suspect you're referring to the iOS Keychain. While you're right that Touch ID will probably be weaker than a strong Master Password (as Ben also noted), as mentioned in the article Ben linked,

It’s important to note that the iOS Keychain is not the same thing as iCloud Keychain. Indeed, the secret is stored in a way that ensures it will never leave your iOS device, not even for backups.

Only 1Password can access this secret, as it isn't available the same way other data in the keychain is. And with regard to your fingerprint, this isn't actually stored in the Keychain at all; rather, Touch ID stores a mathematical representation of your fingerprint in the Secure Enclave, which is a chip in your iOS device which no apps have access to. Just something to consider as you weigh the pros and cons of using Touch ID. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.