Sign in from unknown device

Zxecce
Zxecce
Community Member

I am trialling 1 password on my iMac and iPad and I received an email saying that my account had been accessed from an unknown device at the time I was using my iPad. I deactivated the unknown device from within the 1password account on my iMac and changed my master password. Is this anything to worry about or is it just a blip in the system as obviously no one else knows my password or my secret key.

I did email the support at 1 password but have only received a general reply so to set my mind at rest a quick reply would be appreciated. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: El Capitan 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Zxecce: The sign in notification emails are triggered any time you login to your 1Password.com account in a new browser, or in the 1Password app on a new device. So if you're seeing this after you've logged in, that's perfectly okay. And someone else won't be able to login to your account without knowing your Master Password and Secret Key, so as long as you don't give those to anyone else you don't have to worry. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Zxecce
    Zxecce
    Community Member

My apologies for not thanking you earlier for you putting my mind at rest but if I could just clarify the part about logging in to the 1Password app on a new device. Does this mean a brand new device or just my existing iPad? Sorry if this makes me sound a bit simple but I would like to congratulate you on your product which is brilliant.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Zxecce: Hey, no worries. My pleasure. That's what I'm here for. Great question! The answer is a bit tricky though, so I'll give you a couple examples.

The short version is that any time you sign in to your 1Password.com account in the app or your browser from scratch, you'll get an email notification, and another entry in your Profile page under authorized devices. This of course applies if you sign in on your iPad for the very first time ever, but also if you reset it or delete the app and then have to sign in again.

Similarly, if I sign in using Safari but then reset Safari later, I'll have to do so again (including entering my Secret Key, not just my Master Password). Does that make more sense? :)

This discussion has been closed.