To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Vault/Data migration/transfer

Options
henengel
henengel
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Memberships

Hi there,
Basically, my goal is to transfer my vault from my old account to my new account.
I tried doing so in several ways, as mentioned in support/knowledge base/Forum but still no luck.
Since this is a much-covered topic, I'll try to be as specific as I can in regard to my use case, hope you can help me.

I've been using 1P for a long time now.
I have a Windows 10 PC, Macbook Sierra OS, and an Android phone.

Until recently, I had a local vault on each device and used dropbox to sync everything between them.
Becuase I decided to close my Dropbox account, I decided to open a 1P account and subscribe to your services.

After creating my new account I connected my new 1P account to 1P Widows/Mac/Android software.
When doing so, 1P software suggested migrating my local vault to my new account's vault.
Up until here, all is well.

Now to my issue:
My goal is to move my vault "as is" (including documents, item file references and everything else)
While going over several issues I have with 1P usage, I stumbled upon 1P teams.
Because I use 1P for a lot more than passwords, for example, invoices and much more, 1P teams offers me much more features.

When trying to transfer via Windows:

• Tried copying all the items from the old vault to the new one - 1P crashes
  • Tried exporting the old vault - only .csv or .txt formats are supported and since I also have documents that are related to 1P items, this doesn't help me.

When trying to transfer via Mac:

• When trying to copy/move the items between vaults - I get a message saying that all item file references will be lost, so no help here.
  • When going to 1P preferences, and enabling vaults outside 1P accounts (Local vault), when trying to backup the vault, documents are not supported

Can you please help me with this procedure?
Thank you

_1Password Version: Windows 10: 6.5.401d, Mac Sierra OS 6.7.1 (671001)

_OS Version: Please see screenshots

_Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henengel: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! In case I'm misunderstanding something, I just want to confirm. it sounds like you just want to migrate your data from your (individual?) 1Password.com account to 1Password Teams. Is that correct? If so, while there are some limitations you've pointed out, none of that is actually necessary. You can go to Invite People in your account menu (for an individual account, or the Family Settings) to convert to 1Password Teams, thus avoiding migrating any data.

However, not that I want to dissuade you from using 1Password Teams, but just keep in mind it is geared more toward businesses, with features like access controls and more advanced sharing/permissions options. If you have any questions about any of these features, just let us know! :)

• henengel
    henengel
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hi Brenty,
    Basically, you are right.
    The only thing is that I decided to use 1P teams because it offers custom categories.
    Because I use 1P for a lot more then just passwords, that feature make a very big and necessary difference for me (something that individual 1P currently doesn't offer).
    Anyway, in the meantime, I managed to achieve my goal.
    I found a dropbox backup and migrated it to my new 1P teams account.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @henengel, On behalf of Brenty you're very welcome! I'm happy to hear everything worked out :smile: Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we're always here to help you. Enjoy the rest of your day.

This discussion has been closed.