Latest 6.7 PKG installer doesn't allow for installation in User home

sbarre
sbarre
Community Member

On my work computer I do not have administrator access, so I cannot install personal applications (like 1Password) globally, I have to install them in my user home (~/Applications). Until 6.7 (or at least the last time I did a clean install) I was able to install 1Password into that directory.

But now since I can't auto-update to 6.7 I had to download the PKG installer which only tries to install into the system Applications folder. Since I don't have admin access, that fails, so I can't update.

And since I'm not running 6.7, I get non-stop warnings and errors in Chrome about that security permissions issue.

Is there a reason you no longer allow or support installation into a user home Applications folder? This is a pretty common use case as far as I can tell (lots of other apps I install via PKG installer will either auto-detect permissions and install to my user home Applications, or ask me to choose).

I'm a heavy 1P user and have been since v4, but this is making it unusable for me on the machine I spend most of my time on.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Paid Subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sbarre: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I'm a little bit confused because this is actually a pretty old change we introduced with the launch of Sierra back in September. That's how the installer works, and it's based on Apple's own guidelines. Nevertheless, you'd like to be able to use 1Password! No problem. When you need to install a newer version, just go to our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com

But instead of simply clicking to download, copy the file URL and substitute .zip for .pkg. You'll get an old-fashioned archive instead of an installer, and that should allow you to work around the restrictions. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sbarre
    sbarre
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, it had indeed been a while since I updated my work machine, which surprised me a bit too (since my 5 other devices are all up to date), so that's my bad.

Thank you for pointing me to a solution though, it's much appreciated!

• @sbarre,

The installer does allow installs to ~/Applications.

Change Install Location

Pick Install for me only

Rudy

• sbarre
    sbarre
    Community Member

@rudy I don't know how I missed that (actually I probably just clicked past it because who pays attention during installers, clearly not me)..

My apologies... This level of attention (even when I'm not paying attention) is why I gladly pay for your product.

• @sbarre,

It wasn't there prior to 6.7, but that was one of the things the updated installer in 6.7 brought with it.

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sbarre: Ah! I missed that too because I was thinking that the installer required admin rights for some reason, not that it was prompting for them because of the location. <3 Rudy.

This discussion has been closed.