Do I have to sync all passwords?

DanielMaurath
DanielMaurath
Community Member

I switch often between a personal and work mac. I would like to have all my personal passwords available on my work mac, but my work passwords only available locally on my work mac due to security protocols in place at my workplace. Can I choose to not sync some of my work passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Family
Referrer: forum-search:Do I have to sync all passwords?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DanielMaurath: The short answer is that it isn't possible to limit access to specific items/vaults to certain devices/locations. The best thing would be to have separate accounts, so that you could truly separate work and personal as needed. But there may be other things to consider as well. If you can tell me more about the "security protocols" and situation, there may be something else I can recommend. This can really vary from company to company, but you might also find some useful points in another recent discussion. Let me know what you think!

• DanielMaurath
    DanielMaurath
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. The "security protocol" is that we're not allowed to store any work passwords in the cloud only locally. I have a family account, so it sounds like I could add a second user for myself to my family account and use that for my local passwords?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DanielMaurath,

You can certainly add another user to your family account, but that would also sync through our own servers (just like the other users in your family account). So if the problem is that you're not allowed to store any work passwords in the cloud, that wouldn't help.

If you need to make sure your work passwords stay only on your work Mac and don't sync anywhere else, you could create a new local vault by going to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced (in the main 1Password app) and turning on the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". That will help you create a local vault named "Primary" which is separate from your account and only exists on that Mac.

Does that help? Please let us know if you have any questions about that. :)

• DanielMaurath
    DanielMaurath
    Community Member

Thanks @Drew_AG yes this is what I needed, thanks!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @DanielMaurath! Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.