1Password mac no free trial?

NoahRoddis
NoahRoddis
Community Member

I recently downloaded 1Password for mac from the Mac App Store, and when asked i chose t use iCloud sync to sync with the preexisting vault from my iPhone. The vault successfully loaded, but I was never given a free trial. Instead, in the upper right corner it says read-only. I never had a free trial, is this because I already had 1Password on my iPhone? I am not paying for 1password premium on my phone, or for a premium account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NoahRoddis,

Thanks for contacting us about this, and I'm sorry for the confusion! I can definitely help to clear this up.

1Password for Mac is available from either our own website (aka the AgileBits Store version) or from the Mac App Store. The AgileBits Store version can be downloaded from our site for free and has a 30 day trial period when using it as a standalone app (i.e. without a 1Password.com account).

The Mac App Store version works differently and doesn't have a free trial period when using it as a standalone app. In fact, until recently, the only way to download it from the Mac App Store was if you purchased it first. We changed that in February, so now the Mac App Store version of 1Password is free to download, but it will be in read-only mode unless one of the following conditions is met:

• You paid for it before it became free to download
    • You make a new in-app purchase to use it as a standalone app
    • You sign up for / sign into a 1Password.com subscription account

There are many benefits to using a 1Password.com account, and you can try an account for free regardless of whether you download the Mac app from our website or from the Mac App Store. But if you don't want to use a 1Password.com account, you can switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac if you want the 30 day free trial for the standalone app:

1. Open the Mac App Store version of the 1Password app.
    2. Hold down the control key and select 'Quit 1Password and 1Password mini' from the menu bar.
    3. Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    4. Download the AgileBits Store version of 1Password from our download site.
    5. Open the .pkg file you downloaded and go through the brief installation process.
    6. Open the new 1Password 6.app file from Applications, then choose ‘Sync using iCloud’ from the 'Welcome' screen (follow the on-screen steps to complete the setup).

That should put you in the 30 day free trial period. If you have any questions about that or need more help, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.