Lost 2 Months of passwords!

Poolghost
Poolghost
Community Member

I'am always a very happy user of 1password. But last week I experienced a serious issue. I lost all my passwords made in the months march and april. For synchronization I use iCloud so there is now way to find my passwords back (on other devices). Is someone experienced this problem as well?

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Poolghost,

I'm sorry you're suddenly missing items you created in March and April! Thank for very much for including the screenshot, it's very helpful for us. Items should never just disappear from your vault for no reason, so I'm sure we can figure out what happened and hopefully get those items back.

Is it at all possible that you recently switched between the Mac App Store version and AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your Mac? If so, that most likely explains the problem, because each of those keeps a separate database on your Mac. For example, if you originally bought 1Password from the Mac App Store but then switched to the AgileBits Store version at some point, your latest data would be in the AgileBits Store version - but the older data from the Mac App Store version would still be on your Mac, so if you switched back to the Mac App Store version again and opened it, it would still show the older data.

If that's what happened, you should be able to switch back to the version you had been using until recently and it should have all the items you created in March and April. Which version is the one from your screenshot? You can find that by opening the app and going to 1Password > About 1Password.

Also, please check the Applications folder on your Mac. Do you see more than one 1Password app in there? What is the file name of each/any 1Password app you have in Applications?

You mentioned using 1Password on other devices. Are the same items missing from those devices, or do they still have all of your items?

Once we hear back from you, we should have a better idea of how to proceed. Thanks in advance! :)

• Poolghost
    Poolghost
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Yeah thanks :+1: . I had accidentally opened the App Store version. Back on track now :) . thanks again!

You can close this one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm happy to hear that helped. If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password now (and all your data is there), you can delete the Mac App Store version to avoid confusion. Just go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data).

If you need more help with 1Password or have questions, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.