Browser extension can't connect to 1password app

peter78
peter78
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

The 1password browser extension can't connect to the 1password app. As far as I know it started after the latest update of the app. When clicking on the extension icon a webpage shows trying to connect to the app. After this a get a dialog requesting permission. After confirming permission the 1password app closes (or crashes?), before the screen states that the extension can't connect.
There are no local virusscanners or vpn services running. Also the problem could not be solved by following the different options to solve the issue on the 1password website. The problem with the browser extension exists in safari but also in chrome... Also a complete uninstall and reinstall and various reboots did not help...

Regards,

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.7 (670008) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1password 4.6.5
OS Version: OSX 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter78,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the extension after updating the 1Password app!

When clicking on the extension icon a webpage shows trying to connect to the app. After this a get a dialog requesting permission.

Is that dialog the "1Password Authorization" window which shows you a 6-digit code? If so, do you see the same code on the web page in your browser?

After confirming permission the 1password app closes (or crashes?)...

Do you mean the main 1Password app closes/crashes? When that happens, do you see a crash alert/dialog? Does the same thing happen if you quit the main 1Password app before trying again to use the extension?

Also the problem could not be solved by following the different options to solve the issue on the 1password website.

It sounds like you followed the steps here: If the 1Password extension isn't working in your browser

I apologize if you've already tried this, but please restart 1Password mini by opening the main 1Password app and going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Then try using the extension again. Does the same problem happen?

Thanks!

• irvlustig
    irvlustig
    Community Member

I had exactly the same problem. The solution about doing Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini fixed the problem. You ought to put this in the page about If the 1Password extension isn't working in your browser

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. 1Password does need to be running in order for it to work in the browser. If you continue having this issue, definitely let us know so we can investigate what is interfering in your case. Cheers! :)

• peter78
    peter78
    Community Member

After a lot of searching I found that the source of my problem was caused by my network settings on my macbook pro.
    By forcing my macbook to restore all network settings back to default the problem was solved.

Regards,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! Thank you for following up here to let us know how it all turned out. I'm glad it's working for you now.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need more help with 1Password, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• Aktariel
    Aktariel
    Community Member

I am actually having this same issue, and have been having it intermittently for a year or so now. What happens is, the keyboard shortcut

It's persisted across browsers, and at least two major upgrades - I don't unfortunately know when it started, but it's happened in Chrome and Opera, starting with about v6.5 or so, and persists through the current 6.8b8. Restarting 1Password mini does not fix the problem, only restarting the computer does. (uninstalling and reinstalling the browser extension isn't necessary, though I have tried that to resolve this issue, and it doesn't change anything).

It may be a network issue, since I have another app that's complaining about no network access, no matter what I do, but I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting that (my setup is...complicated and difficult to rebuild from scratch, so I'd rather not). Are there debug logs I can provide to assist in troubleshooting/resolving this? Either fixing a bug, or helping me understand what's happening so I can avoid problematic configurations in the future...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Aktariel: Is it just the keyboard shortcut where you're having the issue (i.e. 1Password still works via mouse)? Can you elaborate on what makes your setup "complicated"? Maybe it's something we're aware of, or that we should be, and there's a clue there. If you're having a network issue with other apps, that may be related, but again, more details would probably be best. Since Opera is based on Chrome, it makes sense that both would be affected. Do you have a similar issue with Firefox or Safari? The issue I see most with Chrome-based browsers is that their code signatures are invalidated with each update until the browser is restarted, in which case 1Password will not connect (it can't validate the app). Have you tried that?

This discussion has been closed.