Duplicates and non-matching item counts after switching to account

Comments

• HankMadison
    HankMadison
    Community Member

I'm having this issue, too. Should I post a different thread? This morning I started using 1Password.com to backup/sync across two computers. When I login to 1Password in the browser it says I have 581 items. Computer A says 579 and Computer B says 1160. Both computers are using v6.7.1.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HankMadison,

I'm sorry you ran into some trouble when migrating to a 1Password.com account! I don't know if the problem you're running into is the same as the one from the other thread, so I've moved your post to a separate discussion to avoid confusion. I hope you don't mind!

I think I have an idea about why you're seeing different numbers, and hopefully it'll be easy to get this all sorted out. Let's start with what you're seeing when you sign into your account on 1Password.com:

When I login to 1Password in the browser it says I have 581 items.

That's the actual number of items that are currently in your 1Password.com account. It's possible you still have your old local vault in the 1Password app on one or both of your Macs, which is causing confusion. A "local" vault won't show up on 1Password.com because it's not part of your account - it's what you would have been using before signing up on 1Password.com. If you see a vault in the 1Password app called "Primary", that's a local vault.

Computer B says 1160.

Is that the computer where you migrated your existing 1Password data to your new account vault? Judging by the number 1160, my guess is that you signed into your account in the 1Password app, copied all your items from the local Primary vault to your new account vault (Personal or Private), but never deleted the Primary vault. So both vaults have all the same 579 items, and it sounds like you added a couple more to your account vault, since it has 581.

On Computer B, please open and unlock the main 1Password app and click on the vault switcher in the top left corner of the window (it might show "All Vaults" or the name of a specific vault). Do you see a vault named "Primary" in the list? If so, select it and check how many items it has. If it has 579, and if you have all your latest data in your account vault on 1Password.com, delete the Primary vault by going to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu bar.

Computer A says 579

Have you signed into your 1Password.com account in the 1Password app on that Mac? To check, open the main 1Password app on Computer A, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar, and click on the Accounts tab. If your account isn't listed there, the number 579 you're seeing is the Primary vault, which you should no longer need because all that data should already be in your 1Password.com account.

In that case, lock the 1Password app by clicking the padlock in the top right corner of the main window, then reset the 1Password app by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Once you've done that, you can set it up again by signing into your account, and it will download the 581 items you see on 1Password.com.

I've made a few guesses here based on what you've told me, but it's possible I'm mistaken - if you see something different than what I've said above, please stop and let us know what you see instead. But if everything is as I described, my steps should get this all cleaned up. Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• HankMadison
    HankMadison
    Community Member

That worked! All good now. Thanks so much for your thorough help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.