Set TOTP using the Symantec VIP Access Credential ID

G_Force
G_Force
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

I understand the process with setting up TOTPs by scanning a QR code.

My question is, can you set a TOTP based on the value of the Credential ID that you get in the Symantec VIP Access app? Some sites like USAA don't provide a QR code to scan. You have to enter the value of the credential ID (that you get from the app) on the USAA website.

Is it possible to get 1Password to generate TOTP based on the value of a Credential ID from the Symantec app? How would I do this? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@G_Force: I'm not familiar with the "Crediential ID" you're referring to, but if it's just a fancy term for a TOTP secret (which the QR code represents — just an easier way to enter it), it should work. This can take the form of an otpauth:// URL or an alphanumeric string representing the secret itself, either of which is used to generate the code you enter to login. If you're not sure...well, that's understandable. But it's certainly worth a try. Let me know what you find! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Maybe this does help?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/354586

Using the info there I can now use 1Password instead of the Symantec App for 2FA for PayPal.

• Thanks for sharing @XIII. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Nice! I immediately recognized that discussion but didn't realize that this "Credential ID" is the same thing. Thanks for connecting those dots! :)

• G_Force
    G_Force
    Community Member

Yes, I can confirm that the python app works for generating a TOTP for USAA. Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can't take credit for that because I failed to make the connection, but I'm glad that helped. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.