Syncing to OneDrive

Marjo
Marjo
Community Member

I would like to move my 1Password vaults to OneDrive instead of Dropbox.
This works fine with Windows but I also have 1Passsword on my Android device and this seems to be able to work only with Dropbox.
Is there a way or are there plans to make 1Password for Android sync with OneDrive or any other Cloud storage (Google drive)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Marjo: 1Password supports Dropbox, and we don't have any plans to add support for other 3rd party sync services. Our focus is on 1Password.com, as it allows us to not only provide a better experience, but also fix things if there's a problem — something we can't do with 3rd party options. However, you may be able to use 1Password for Android's Folder Sync option if you're able to have OneDrive (or another service) sync to a local folder on your device. Cheers! :)

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    This is NOT what 1Password answered earlier on this request!
    My company is using Office365 for business and therefore forces me to use OneDrive and forbids storing data at other 3d parties like at DropBox or 1Password.com. That leaves me only WLAN syncing, which is a rather devious method and won’t sync directly between my iPhone and iPad. If I want to sync them, I first have to sync them both separately and manually via my Windows laptop, using WLAN sync.
    I would suggest 1Password to reconsider, otherwise it will lose a big market here!

With kind regards,
    Rene de Vries

• Thanks for the feedback, @ErtjeTheFreeze. We don't have plans to add support for any other sync services, since we now have our own solution. If we do decide to in the future, though, we'll definitely keep OneDrive in mind!

• ChrischanS
    ChrischanS
    Community Member

Hi Peri,
    the most important reason why business users around me and myself use 1Password is the ability to use an own compliant storage solution for syncing. I strongly recommend to support syncing to complaint solutions and not to force users in some "stored in the insecure US/Canada non compliant solution with dubious benefits". Syncing to own solutions is your KEY asset.
    A lot of your customers in Europe will reconsider your solution at least on Mai 2018 when GDPR comes out. Our company for instance already switched to an self hosted solution for that reason.

Best regards
    Christian S.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@ChrischanS

If your company are switching to a self-hosted solution because of the GDPR then your company needs a better lawyer. It's unnecessary and not a requirement.

Anyway 1Password uses an American, Canadian and European data centre. You get to choose which region you prefer so I really don't see what the problem is.

There's no security benefit of using one data centre over another.

1Password have indicated they won't be introducing additional options of synchronising to new cloud services because the service is now hosted online by AgileBits.

Lastly, if your company are that concerned about data security then you shouldn't be using any closed source software, you should get a trusted company to audit an open source password manager and only keep the data on your own systems (which you should regularly harden and audit at your own expense).

For what it's worth KeePass is the only piece of software that has been audited and approved by the EU.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ChrischanS: I'm not sure where you're getting this idea of being "forced". Plenty of people don't use the hosted version of 1Password. But those who do — including us — only do so because of the security model. Unlike other cloud providers, we don't have the keys to encrypt user data. That's a convenience feature that many offer to make it easy to setup new devices, and make it hard for users to lock themselves out of their data. Definitely check out 1Password.eu, which is hosted in Germany, and our security white paper, as you do your due diligence:

1Password Security Design

And we're here if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

• unhandledexception
    unhandledexception
    Community Member

Upvote for OneDrive (and OneDrive for Business) support. The new Windows 7 Beta appears to support it... would be great to see it on Android since the Windows 7 Beta no longer supports WLAN sync. Working on figuring out folder sync in the interim.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unhandledexception: No version of 1Password supports OneDrive, and we do not have plans to support additional 3rd party sync methods. You could potentially use OneDrive indirectly by syncing to a local folder, but this isn't something we support or recommend ourselves. Be sure to backup your data regularly if you go that route — especially since OneDrive does not always make all files available locally, offline.

• unhandledexception
    unhandledexception
    Community Member

@brenty thank you for the update on current and future plans. The Windows UWP app, available previously for both Windows Phone and Desktop, did support OneDrive. I think I saved a couple copies of it. I recently installed the Windows Beta 7.0.532, and it picked up my OneDrive-backed vault from the previous Windows UWP installation (a bug it appears, as it refuses to continue sync'ing). I guess I'll go report that in the 7 Beta for Windows discussion forum...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unhandledexception: It was a beta. We have never had official support for OneDrive. I'm sorry for any confusion that caused though.

With regard to the issue you're having now, you can reset the app to clear out stuff you'd setup before. That will give you a clean slate so you can set it up again now. Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.