Read-only mode on Mac App Store version

This discussion was created from comments split from: Read-Only Mode.

Comments

• milgil
    milgil
    Community Member

I have exactly the same issue - except its a Mac App Store version that has been working for 9 months on this Mac (and was bought longer ago). Its now in read-only mode and very frustrating - I've rebooted, deleted and reinstalled, but no luck.

Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@milgil: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The Mac App Store will only validate the purchase if you're logged into the correct Apple ID both when installing and running the app. Be sure to check your records to verify where the purchase was made, as you may need to reinstall it. If you're still having trouble, it would help to know which versions (OS, 1Password, etc.) you're using. Let me know what you find!

• milgil
    milgil
    Community Member

Your reply is ambiguous - this copy was 'bought' under an old mac.com AppleID, that I don't use anymore, but it was installed under my current AppleID (through HomeSharing). The App Store is logged in as my current AppleID, so that should be the same. I'm running Sierra and only have this problem on one device.

Something changed between April 19 and May 3 - the log shows the following on April 19

• Receipt is grandfathered due to receipt version: 3.9
      but the next usage is May 3 and it says

• Receipt is not grandfathered due to receipt version: 6.7

I can send you full logs if that is insufficient - I'm not sure whether such stuff would be safe to post publicly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@milgil: Fair enough. But it's hard for me to not be ambiguous with so little information. Thanks for humouring me. :lol:

But yeah, good call. Definitely don't post any purchase information publicly. I can give you some pointers here that might apply to your situation, but ultimately if you're still having trouble just shoot us an email at support+forums@agilebits.com with a copy of your receipt and post the Support ID here so we can take a look. Just keep in mind we don't have the ability to do anything with the App Store itself, as it's owned and operated by Apple. But worst case scenario we can give you an equivalent license for the AgileBits Store version.

If you purchased the Mac App Store version of 1Password prior to this year, you'll have paid money for it, and it will be possible to share this purchase using Apple's Family Sharing, as the app was purchased outright (not an in-app purchase, which cannot be shared). What may be complicating things in your case is if you've "purchased" the app (which is a free download with a trial) on your current account and installed it from there instead of explicitly going to the purchase list of the original account sharing it to install from there, it will not be validated by the App Store as being unlocked.

Hopefully this helps, but one way or another we'll get this sorted out. :)

• milgil
    milgil
    Community Member

Thats possible - seems unlikely, but such things do happen. I'll uninstall and reinstall from the old app store account. I'll let you know what happens - by email probably - though there is value for others in seeing some of these threads through to conclusion too.

• milgil
    milgil
    Community Member

That didn't make any difference - however, on my other Mac, where it works I have two com.agilebits ... folders - one in my library, containing the app store receipt and another in private/var/etc that ends in osxhelper, whereas on my Mac where it isn't working that file seems to be inside 1password.app itself.

Does that explain anything?

Anyway, I will send you the longer logs by email as you requested.

• milgil
    milgil
    Community Member

Ok, I have it working again!! I had to log into the App Store with my old mac.com AppleId and I installed the 1password app from that ID's purchases. Then I logged out and relogged in with family shared me.com appleid and the receipt was properly recognized.

I would guess that this an obscure app store bug that interacts with your way of picking up legacy registrations and that affects people doing family sharing where one account inadvertently 'buys' the free 1password and even selecting the other family member's 1password doesn't overrule the registration unless logged in as that other family member. After that correct install things work as you have planned.

Hope that maybe helps someone in the future.

And thanks for helping me through it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, I'm happy it's working correctly for you now! On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome. Please let us know if you need more help or have any questions about 1Password. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@milgil: Thanks for the update! I'd still encourage you to shoot us that email though so we can get you an AgileBits Store license. You and I just don't have any control over the App Store, but this is at least something we can do to make sure you don't run into further issues like this. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.