Deleted items ios

Options
milfredo
milfredo
Community Member

Hello there,

I deleted an logon from my iPhone 1Password but can see no way to recover the item. Is there a way as this is potentially a disaster?

Thanks,
Will

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Will ( @milfredo ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

If you have a 1Password.com subscription account you can login to the 1Password.com web interface and recover the item from there.

If you are using 1Password "standalone" (sans-account) then the only way to recover would be to sync your data over to 1Password for Mac, and recover from there.

Thanks!

Ben

• milfredo
    milfredo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this. I have 1Password configured on the mac but it's not in the deleted items folder. I checked to see if it was still in the main folder but it's not.

Cheers,
    Will

• milfredo
    milfredo
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone?

This is really confusing. I don't have 1Password synced to an online vault but I thought that the deleted item should appear on the mac even though it was deleted on iOS.

• rudy
    Options

@milfredo,

Its hard to tell from your short descriptions, but did you setup 1Password sync between the Mac and the iOS device?

Rudy

• milfredo
    milfredo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes all my devices are synced and used on a daily basis... 2 x macs, iPad and iPhone.

I deleted a login from iOS and can't recover it as there is no trash, I thought it would be in the trash of the app on the computer but it's not. Should it have been or is this a feature of deleting on iOS? if it's a 'feature' I need to stop using the app for certain accounts as not being able to recover accounts is detrimental in certain circumstances (like this one).

Otherwise amazing product, support etc. No other complaints and I've used it for many, many years. My life is in there :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milfredo,

If you deleted an item from a vault in 1Password for iOS, it should appear in that vault's trash in 1Password for Mac (assuming sync is working correctly, of course). I just tested this myself by deleting three items - one from a vault that syncs with iCloud, one from a vault that syncs with Dropbox, and one from a 1Password.com account vault. After deleting the items from 1Password on my iPhone, each one appeared in the Trash of the corresponding vault in 1Password on my Mac. So I'm not sure why that isn't working for you.

To help us figure out what's going on, can you please let us know some more details:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone and iPad?
    • How are you syncing your 1Password data (1Password.com account, Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN Server)?
    • Are you checking the Trash category in the left sidebar of the main 1Password app on your Mac? (Make sure you're checking the Trash within 1Password, and not the system Trash.)
    • Have you checked the 1Password Trash on both Macs?
    • Try creating a new Secure Note in 1Password on your iPhone (you can call it something like "Test from iPhone"). Does that new item sync to both Macs as well as your iPad?
    • Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password? If so, do all vaults sync between all devices?
    • In the main 1Password app on your Macs, do you see "All Vaults" in the top left corner? If so, click on that and choose the specific vault where you deleted the item, then check the Trash within that vault. Does the deleted item appear there?

Thanks in advance! :)

• milfredo
    milfredo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Here we go...

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac?
    The latest, no updates on the App Store .

What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone and iPad?
    Latest, no updates on App Store.

How are you syncing your 1Password data (1Password.com account, Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN Server)?
    All iCloud. Passwords and accounts sync without issue.

Are you checking the Trash category in the left sidebar of the main 1Password app on your Mac? (Make sure you're checking the Trash within 1Password, and not the system Trash.)
    Yes I am. Bottom left on Mac client.

Have you checked the 1Password Trash on both Macs?
    Yes. Same deal, its not in the trash.

Try creating a new Secure Note in 1Password on your iPhone (you can call it something like "Test from iPhone"). Does that new item sync to both Macs as well as your iPad?
    I tried a note and a logon. The note a logon sync form iPhone to both macs but when deleted, they are no in the trash.

Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password? If so, do all vaults sync between all devices?
    Yes multiple vaults are there from when I trailed 1password family and another 1password.com has appeared but I have nothing stored in any of them.

In the main 1Password app on your Macs, do you see "All Vaults" in the top left corner? If so, click on that and choose the specific vault
    where you deleted the item, then check the Trash within that vault. Does the deleted item appear there?
    This is my default location and there is no record of the deleted item or the newly deleted item in trash. All very odd and worrisome.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @milfredo! Can you please clarify a few of your answers:

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac?
    The latest, no updates on the App Store .

What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone and iPad?
    Latest, no updates on App Store.

Can you please let us know the exact version on each? "Latest" can mean different things under different circumstances, and we've seen cases where the App Store doesn't show an update when it should. For steps to find the version numbers, just click the links in the questions I sent you:

All iCloud. Passwords and accounts sync without issue.

I'm a little confused about this, because only the Primary vault can sync via iCloud. Secondary local vaults don't have the iCloud option in their sync settings, and vaults that are part of a 1Password.com account automatically sync through our servers and don't have their own sync settings.

If you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar, then click the Sync tab, how many vaults are shown there? If you only see the Primary vault, is iCloud selected as the sync setting? If you see other vaults there, click on them - which sync option is selected for each one?

I tried a note and a logon. The note a logon sync form iPhone to both macs but when deleted, they are no in the trash.

Does the same thing happen if you create an item on your iPad, sync it to the other devices, then delete it from the iPad?

This is my default location...

I'm not sure what you mean by "this". Can you please elaborate on your default location and if you tried switching to the specific vault where the item in question used to be?

Also, did the missing item previously appear in 1Password on your Mac? If so, and if it was in your Primary vault (or another local vault), it should exist in a backup file, and we can help you retrieve it from there.

• milfredo
    milfredo
    Community Member
    Options

Good troubleshooting but I've worked it out. I created and then deleted the account before I opened my mac version. The account never would have synced as I don't use the 1password.com service.

I only use default vault and it syncs but I guess this time I was too hasty in my deletion.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's good news, I'm happy to hear you've worked it out! Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need more help with 1Password, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.