Problems moving from personal version to family subscription

johnbeeching
johnbeeching
Community Member

I have had 1Password on my mac, iPhone and iPad for some years and they work perfectly. However, I want to encourage my family to be more secure, so I set up the trial family version a couple of days ago. Now I find that there are logins missing on the mac and some duplications on the iPhone and iPad. How can I restore them to how they were before I set up the family version? Please help!

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnbeeching,

Sorry you're having some trouble switching to 1Password Families! I'm sure we can help you get things back on track.

First, please sign into your account on 1Password.com in a web browser and check your vaults there. The items you see in your vaults on the website are all part of your account, and normally that should be exactly what you see in the 1Password app on each device. If what you see on 1Password.com is different than what you see in the 1Password app on your devices, that usually means you haven't signed into your account in the 1Password app on each device, or you might still have a local Primary vault on one or more devices (a local vault is the kind you were using before signing up for 1Password Families, and is not part of your account).

Next, let's check the setup of 1Password on each device:

On your Mac:

• Open and unlock the main 1Password app, then go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar.
    • Select the Accounts tab - is your Families account listed there?
    • Close the Preferences window. In the top left corner of the main window, click on the vault switcher right below the red/yellow/green buttons. What vaults are listed there?
    • If the first vault is named Primary, select it and check which items are in that vault.
    • Check the other vaults listed in the vault switcher. Vaults that are part of your Families account should match what you see on 1Password.com.

On your iPhone and iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > 1Password Accounts - is your Families account listed there?
    • Go back to the Settings screen and tap Vaults - what vaults are listed there?
    • Go to the Categories section of the app and tap the vault icon in the top left corner.
    • If the first vault is named Primary, select it and check which items are in that vault.
    • Check the other vaults listed in the vault switcher screen. Vaults that are part of your Families account should match what you see on 1Password.com.

Let us know how things are set up on each device, and we should be able to help you get this all sorted out. Thanks! :)

• johnbeeching
    johnbeeching
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, which essentially confirmed what I eventually managed to work out for myself. However, I am now concerned that I may be facing the converse problem. My family could not be bothered to avail themselves of 1Password. Therefore, when the trial subscription runs out I want to revert to the paid apps for mac, iPad and iPhone that I had previously, rather than pay for a subscription that will no longer be necessary. My question is: Will this reversion occur automatically or will I have to do anything to ensure that I can continue using the apps and that I do not lose my 1Password database?

John

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnbeeching,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to convince your family to start using 1Password! Hopefully they'll change their minds at some point.

In the meantime, you can switch back to using the standalone 1Password apps without an account if you want, but a better option might be to keep your account and switch to an individual subscription (which costs less than the Families plan). There are many benefits to a 1Password.com account, and you still get most of those benefits with an individual subscription. You can find a comparison chart here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

If you'd like to switch to an individual subscription, all you need to do is sign into your current account on the 1Password.com website, click your account name in the top right and choose Family Settings, then click the "Convert "account name" to an Individual account" button.

On the other hand, if you're sure you want to go back to the way you used 1Password before, you can do that by following the steps here: How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.