Move from trial (frozen) to old "non-account"

jakub_VV
jakub_VV
Community Member

Hi, I would like to solve following situation. I tried trial version and found out that I wont need paid features - iam satisfied with just one device and other means of syncing (dropbox, local etc.), but now I am frozen and cant get back to the "non-account" times. I dont know how to cancel 1password account withou removing items from my device.

So I need cancel account but keep logins ans passwords in my device. How should I proceed?

thanks for answer!
jakub

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• Hi @jakub_VV. Thanks for reaching out!

Whether you're using the standalone, "sync it yourself" version or a 1Password.com account, you'll need to purchase the app for full functionality.

1Password for Android is free to use and has full functionality during its 30 day trial. After the trial period it becomes limited to read-only. This means that you can sync, view, and copy and paste your data, but you won't be able to add, edit, or fill items from Android without purchasing the subscription or Pro features. It will go into frozen mode if you're using an account, or trial expired mode if you're using the standalone version.

I recommend sticking with the account, as it will give you the option of using/accessing multiple vaults, includes automatic sync and backup, and that way you won't have to worry about creating a new local vault and starting over.

• jakub_VV
    jakub_VV
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for asnwer. Problem is that about month ago I had to reinstall my device including 1password, which I used before as standalone etc. for more than one and half year. Everything worked (no limitations) before reinstall. After reinstall I had to put all passwords again by hand (lost local file - but that is something I accept as my onw risk) and unfortunatelly I gave a try to 1password.com account. During trial I have found out that I prefer standalone - have no use to work with more devices. Is there any chance to move back without "start over again". Which means, keep my data stored locally and delete current account from servers (in fact I do want to store my passwords locally, not on server). If not, it is at least possible to ask to delete all my data from servers?

Thanks.

• Thanks for the update, @jakub_VV. I'm not sure how you were able to use 1Password without limitations for the last year and a half without purchasing the Pro features or a subscription, but that's not designed behavior. Even if you go back to the standalone version, you'll still be limited to read-only--similar to the frozen status you have now--without the Pro features. To do so, you'll need to create a vault from another device. Do you have access to a Mac or PC?

Also, can I ask why you prefer not to use the account? I'm interested to hear what about the account. Are your concerns mainly related to security or something else? Just to clarify, your data is end to end encrypted with keys generated locally on your devices. We never have access to your decrypted data, and only you can decrypt it with your Master Password. If you're interested, you can find more about our security model here:
    https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

• jakub_VV
    jakub_VV
    Community Member

Yes I have PRO feature purchased - of course :) I need to know how to get back to previous state - sorry for being unclear.
    Using 1password was very easy and without any problems for all the time - never had problem with editing or adding new password :) now I am stuck in frozen mode.
    Yes I have acces to another PC.

• Thanks @jakub_VV! One more question--when you launch 1Password on Android and tap All Vaults, do you see a Primary vault there, or do you just see your Personal (account) vault?

The Primary vault is the local vault, so you'll just need to copy the data from your account into the Primary vault and then sign out of the account.

Otherwise, you'll need to install 1Password 4 on your PC from this link:
    https://1password.com/downloads/

When you do that, create a new vault and then choose Preferences > General > Move to Dropbox. Then reinstall 1Password on Android, choose the Dropbox sync option to sync with the new empty vault, sign back into your account, and then move the data into the Primary vault according to the steps linked above.

Let me know how that goes!

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

I'm sort of having the same issue. I upgraded my device but I only have the PRO version not an account. I messed up the sync by putting it on a local file and I can't retrieve the backup on my new device so I figured I would just manually enter all my passwords (which I'm not thrilled about) but when I open up 1Password on my new device there's no option for me to just continue using my 1Password in the PRO state. It gives me the:

"Used 1Password before?

• 1Password.com
    • Dropbox
    • WLAN server
    • Local storage"

None of these options are viable. Am I able to just use the app as I did when I first purchased the PRO version and start fresh? On my old device I don't have the "1Password Account (Username)" item so I don't have access to the old key. I'm hoping I didn't delete it, or rather, I would hope it can't be deleted if that's the only way to restore your previous paid version of the app.

• Hi @TheRealFixxxer. :)

If you were syncing with local storage on your old device, you should have a 1Password.agilekeychain folder. That entire folder makes up your 1Password vault. Do you see that folder on the old device? If you're not sure where to look, launch 1Password there and tap Settings > Sync to find the sync path.

If you do see that folder, go ahead and connect the old device to a Mac or PC with a USB cable, copy the entire .agilekeychain folder onto the computer, then connect the new device and copy the entire folder into the new device's local storage. Then you should be able to select Local storage from the welcome screen and sync with that vault.

Let me know how that goes!

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

Hi @peri

Unfortunately it's just giving me a sync error and that path doesn't exist on the device so transferring it onto my computer is not a viable option. Being able to change the sync method would be the logical alternative and I can't even begin to imagine why that's not an option.

Outside of purchasing the PRO version again on the new device, which obviously is not happening, I'm not sure what to do. I may have to do look into an alternative password manager and this time around do some research on how they handle transferring the data to a new device. 1Password gets my absolute praise as a password manager but transferring the data to a new device is nothing short of infuriating.

• @TheRealFixxxer Can you let me know what sync error you're seeing?

To clarify, the Pro features are linked to your Google account and can be restored simply by installing 1Password with the same account. We'll need to recover your vault, though, to get your data on the device.

That said, with 1Password accounts, your data is backed up and synced through our servers, so you only ever have to sign in from a new device to access your data. No manual sync or data transfer required. If you want to try that out, let me know and I'll be happy to help you get set up. :)

This discussion has been closed.