To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Still no improvement

Options
myusername99999
myusername99999
Community Member

Installing 1PW on new computer. Downloaded dropbox, signed in and verified it synced with my 1PW information. Download 1PW. Have email, master password, and license info. Need secret key. Nowhere to be found. Doesn't exist. Uninstall 1PW, download different version. Same result. Get account info emailed. No help. Uninstall dropbox and 1PW. Start over with restore and start over with new account. Same result.
Find that once again even though i have my email, master password, license key, name, address, credit card info and date of purchase I am once again unable to access my passwords. The changing of devices with your product absolutely sucks. I am so frustrated with the process that I have uninstalled your product and will count it as a lesson learned.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@myusername99999 what kind of 1Password account do you have? If you have the stand alone license, you won't have a secret key. If you have a 1Password.com/subscription, you don't use Dropbox or any 3rd party to sync your info.

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @myusername99999 !

Thanks for reaching out! How are you doing today? :)

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues with getting 1Password set up on your new computer. It sounds like there may be a bit of confusion between standalone licenses and 1Password accounts, so let's try to get that cleared up.

1Password standalone licenses and 1Password accounts/memberships are two different ways to use 1Password. Because they are two separate products, they each have their own, respective pricing models. To clarify the differences between each of the services, here is a short explanation of each:

Standalone Licenses:

1Password standalone licenses were the original way to use 1Password. They offer the ability to use a third party sync service, and a few other more technical options. Due to the level of technical knowledge required to properly set up these syncing methods, we are now considering standalone licenses to be for more advanced users who are comfortable with setting up technical settings within the 1Password app. Licenses are currently only available to be purchased for Mac devices, and are a one time purchase for each platform that 1Password is being used on.

1Password Accounts/Memberships:

1Password accounts are the newer way to use 1Password. They offer multiple features over standalone licenses. Some of these include the ability to view and manage your data on 1Password.com, access to all of the 1Password apps, automatic syncing and backups, the capability to use all of the Pro features, and more! Because 1Password accounts automatically take care of many of the more advanced features that standalone licenses have, accounts are the recommended way to use 1Password. Even if you are an advanced user, a 1Password account may be a better fit for you, considering that they include many features that standalone licenses do not have. 1Password accounts are a subscription-based service which can be paid for monthly or yearly.

Now that we have the differences between licenses and accounts covered, we can talk about your specific issue. You mentioned that you were using Dropbox before, which most likely means that you were using a standalone license instead of a 1Password account. You also mentioned that you had a license key, which alludes to the usage of standalone licenses.

The secret key that you mentioned is a credential that is exclusive to 1Password accounts and is not included with standalone licenses. Because you were using a standalone license, you do not have a secret key. Additionally, because you were using a standalone license, you were not using a 1Password account, which is why you are unable to sign into an account.

However, there is no need to worry! Because you were previously syncing your data via Dropbox, you can regain access to your data by setting up Dropbox within 1Password on your new device. 1Password will recognize that you already have 1Password data within the app and will assist you with recovering your data.

Forgot how to set up Dropbox syncing? No problem! We offer a pretty nifty knowledgebase article that outlines how to do this for you: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

I know that this is a lot of information, so please feel free to give me a nudge if you have any further questions or concerns about getting set up with 1Password on your new computer. Congrats, by the way, on your new machine!

Have a great rest of your day, @myusername99999 !

This discussion has been closed.