Can't login to any site using 1password generated passwords.

redrover
redrover
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

I am using a Mac Mini, Late 2014 model with Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4 and Safari 10.1. So far I have not been successful in logging into a web site with a 1password generated password. At this moment I am able to log in to the sites I am trying here with my normal logins/passwords. I can create a 1password login/password with the browser extension or on my 1password account. But no password generated in 1password allows me to get in to the same website I can with my normal password. I am a new user of this system, so please understand I want this to work. But this system seems to be difficult to use or is not intuitive at least. Your instructions on the site do not help me at this point. Can you help me with this please?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: Bell.ca or any web site

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @redrover,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with the password generator and changing your website account passwords!

From your description, it sounds like you're using 1Password to generate a new password, but you're not going through steps on a website to change your password to the new one. 1Password can help you generate a new, strong password, but it can't automatically change the password for you in your account settings on a website.

To change a login password for a website, please make sure you follow the steps here: Change your passwords and make them stronger

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• mccarcom
    mccarcom
    Community Member

I've several times had the same problem with 1pw generated passwords, and this was on new sites. I don't remember some, but the latest was just now on the Uniqlo e-commerce site. It asked for 8-20 characters, and must include letters and numbers. I generated same from the generator, and it refuses to advance to the next step. Only by putting in a pw by hand will it work. Is there something I'm missing?

• mccarcom
    mccarcom
    Community Member

PS - I went back and tried to change the pw using the generator and, again, it was not accepted.

• @mccarcom,

To log into a website with a password generated by 1Password you have to first change your password for that site to one generated by 1Password. Then you'd save a Login item in 1Password with that newly generated password (possibly updating an existing login item that you had for the site with the old password), and then use that Login item to login to the website.

Does that help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.