Unlocking mini brings the full app to the foreground

zts
zts
Community Member

Since updating to OS X Sierra, I have noticed that unlocking Mini brings the full 1password app to the foreground. This is annoying, as it means you need to Cmd-tab back to the browser and launch Mini again before you can fill a login.

This happens whether I am launching Mini from the (Safari) browser extension, or by clicking the icon in the system menu bar.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Ensure 1Password is locked
2. Open Safari
3. Click 1Password icon in Safari menubar (or use the hotkey)
4. Enter master password and press "return" key
5. Note that 1Password.app is brought to foreground.

Expected behaviour: Mini retains focus when unlocked

1Password Version: 6.7.1 (671001)
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unlock mini

Comments

• @zts,

do you have mini set to not remain running?

Rudy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zts,

To elaborate on Rudy's question, you can find that setting by opening the main 1Password app, going to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar, and clicking the General tab. Is there a check mark next to the "Always keep 1Password mini running" option? If not, please enable that setting and see if the problem happens again. Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• zts
    zts
    Community Member

Thankyou both for the quick replies - "Always keep 1Password mini running" was enabled, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I can no longer reproduce the problem. I don't remember changing any preferences after writing my post, but I could be wrong.

Best chalk this one up to user error, and I'll add more details if I'm able to reproduce the issue in the future.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zts,

Hmm, that's strange - I don't know what would have changed to make it start behaving differently/correctly. But since the problem seems to have resolved itself, I guess I shouldn't complain! :lol:

If it starts happening again or if you need anything else, be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

• jvinding
    jvinding
    Community Member

This has started happening to me.

1Password 6 Version 6.8 (680015) AgileBits Store

macOs Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)

"always keep 1Password running" is checked.

Full steps to reproduce

1. Start 1Password
    2. Ensure 1Password is locked
    3. Switch to browser
    4. Type Command-Option-\ to bring up 1Password Mini
    5. Enter master password

Expected:

1Password Mini would unlock, and be usable

Actual:

1Password Mini unlocks, 1Password comes to the foreground, 1Password mini closes

• @jvinding,

When it comes back up, does it present you with a dialog indicating that mini crashed?

Rudy

• jvinding
    jvinding
    Community Member

Nope, it works as expected after the initial unlock

• @jvinding,

Could you perform your steps again and then immediately generate a diagnostics report? I'm definitely not seeing that behavior here, are you using Safari or another browser when you see this?

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• jvinding
    jvinding
    Community Member

I can reproduce it in Chrome or Safari.

Support ID: WYJ-75686-576

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @jvinding

Thank you for the email. We have located it and we'll be in touch with you shortly. We'll reply over there :)

ref: WYJ-75686-576

• jvinding
    jvinding
    Community Member

An additional bit of information, sometimes it takes a couple of seconds for 1Password to steal focus.
    Dunno if that'll help you track it down at all, but I have to say it because it's extra annoying in those cases, as I start to scroll down to choose the account I want, then it disappears.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jvinding

Thank you for the extra details. Rudy will be in touch with you over email and let you know what he finds out :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just wanted to follow up here. I'll be replying shortly via email as well to get more details, but I wanted to publicly acknowledge that you're not alone; I've had this happen too. I'm not sure we're any closer to know what the cause is, as it isn't as easily reproducible as your steps suggest (only happens to me once a week or so); but hopefully we'll be able to narrow this down.

This discussion has been closed.