Open old keychain file

Options
mquinlan
mquinlan
Community Member

I am using 1Password 6 but have an old agilekeychain file created by 1Password 5 that I want to extract the information from. I don't see any way to import this file into 1Password 6. When I install 1Password 5 and run it I get this message

The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.

Instead of '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '/Applications/1Password 6.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.

How to I get access to the contents of my old agilekeychain file?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 6.7.1, 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:open old keychain file

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mquinlan,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! The reason you're getting that error message is because the OS gets confused when there are multiple copies of the 1Password app, and it tries to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini. But you don't need to use 1Password 5 for this, so you can drag the 1Password 5.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data as well).

If you have a local "Primary" vault in 1Password on your Mac (and it sounds like you do, since you said you're syncing via iCloud) then you should be able to simply double-click on the .agilekeychain file, and 1Password 6 will prompt you to add that as a new vault.

On the other hand, if you're using a 1Password.com account and don't have a local "Primary" vault, you'll first need to enable local vaults by going to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and turning on the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". That will create a local "Primary" vault which is separate from your account. You can either sync the empty Primary vault with your .agilekeychain file (1Password > Preferences > Sync, change sync from None to Folder and choose the .agilekeychain file) or you can double-click the .agilekeychain file to add it as a second local vault.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• mquinlan
    mquinlan
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Glad to hear it worked. Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.