1Password not working in Firefox - "Browser could not be verified"

Options
System
edited May 2017 in Mac
This discussion, just for you, was created from comments split from: Browser could not be verified? [recommendation: update 1Password for Mac to version 6.7 (or later)]. Hope that's okay. :chuffed:

Comments

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Today, I encountered this problem for the first time...

My CURRENT set up is: MacMini (late 2012) running:
    OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6 + Firefox v 53.0.3(64 bit) (up-to-date) + 1Password v 6.3.1 (family plan from Agilebits)
    1Password was working before the unexpected silent automatic update around noon today of Firefox from v 53.0.2 -> v53.0.3

I do have Chrome on my Mac, but have not used it in years.
    I do have Safari v 10.0 (11602.1.50.0.10) on my Mac, but do not use routinely it.
    I do not use the cloud at all, but do synch with DropBox, which says it is up to date.

I realize 1Password has changed to an annual subscription, and that a major change in OS X has occurred.
    But I depend upon the Quicken 2007 because the QuickenForMac 2017 is such a poor re-write of the software that it is unuseable.

Please help be fix my current setup - without being forced into upgrading 1Password. The situation for me is such that I would have to abandon 1Password completely in order to continue as long as possible with my current version of Quicken.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Added 5/21/17: I found that by going into the "Advanced" menu of 1Password Preferences, I could uncheck the option to "Verify browser code signatures". This does solve my immediate problem, so my current setup as described above does work as before.

But... what have I lost by doing this ? The menu says it is less "secure", but in what way is this less secure.
    Will this change in the Preferences last thru future upgrades, or should I start moving away from my dependence on 1Password ?

• rudy
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Lamplighter,

You need to update from 1Password 6.3.1 to at least 6.7.1 and then you should definitely turn that advanced setting back on. That update is going to need to be a manual install of 6.7.1 from https://1password.com/downloads due to an issue that occurred with 1Password 6.3.5 that prevented further updates from being automatic until you update to 6.7.x.

Rudy

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@rudy Thanks for your reply.

I can go thru the updates you suggest, but I first need to be sure of what the outcome will be...

1) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that we upgrade our OS X to "Sierra" ?
    That is, does v6.7.1 run on El Capitan ?
    2) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that we use the "cloud" for backups and/or synch-ing among family members ?
    3) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that my family and I enroll in the "subscription" form of 1Password ?

My primary concern is that our financial software (Quicken 2007) is not compatible with OS X Sierra,
    and the new QuickenForMac 2017 (Sierra-compatible) software is so poorly written it is unusable for our needs.

I will appreciate your thoughts...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

I'm happy to answer the specific questions you've asked. :)

1) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that we upgrade our OS X to "Sierra" ?
    That is, does v6.7.1 run on El Capitan ?

No upgrade to Sierra is necessary. 1Password for Mac 6.7.1 runs fine on El Capitan, like I do on two oldest Macs that can't be upgraded to Sierra.

From System requirements for 1Password:

• 1Password 6 requires OS X Yosemite or later

2) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that we use the "cloud" for backups and/or synch-ing among family members ?

1Password does not store backups of 1Password data in "the cloud" and syncing 1Password data is optional when it's used without a 1Password.com account.

3) Does the update to v6.7.1 require that my family and I enroll in the "subscription" form of 1Password ?

It does not, although the benefits of 1Password membership subscription can be ideal for family usage and why we recommend 1Password Families in that case. If that's something you'd like to consider be sure to let us know and we can help you more with that.

I will appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks, and only one left at the moment. :)

Even if you've been able to run 6.3.1 (from our website) on your Mac (with El Capitan) it will eventually stop working and, as Rudy mentioned:

That update is going to need to be a manual install of 6.7.1 from https://1password.com/downloads due to an issue that occurred with 1Password 6.3.5 that prevented further updates from being automatic until you update to 6.7.x.

Here's an article with more details about it:

1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini

I hope this information is helpful and keep the questions coming of you've still got 'em. Cheers!

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thanks much. The download video was helpful, and things seem to be working properly again, and I'm still able to run on El Capitan.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear, @Lamplighter. A triple win! :)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk:

Last May, we had the above discussion about 1P v6.7.1 and was able to get things working properly again. But over the past few days things have gone to pot again. Essentially, even after re-installing the Foxfire browser, neither the "Open and Fill" function nor the shortcut (Command-Backslash) are working at all. I am still able to anchor the login and copy/paste the UserName + Password to activate the website access. (I have gone thru the Preferences, and settings seem to be as they should be.)

Rather than upgrading to IOS Sierra, I still need to stay with IOS El Capitan due to upgrade issues with other proprietary software.

Do you have any suggestions now ?

I am currently running: Firefox v54.0.1 with 1Password 6 v6.7.1 (671001) from the AgileBits Store - on Mac IOS 10.11.6

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome back, @Lamplighter. :)

You mentioned 1Password 6.7.1 so you'll want to update to the latest version (currently 6.8). Firefox is a bit behind, too. And the 1Password extension might also need an update.

1. Update Firefox to the latest version (currently 55.0), then quit it.
    2. Update the 1Password app, then open and unlock it.
    3. Reopen Firefox and update the 1Password extension (if necessary).

Now make sure 1Password is working properly with Firefox. If not, restart your Mac and give it another try. Let us know if you're still having any trouble after that. Cheers!

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@sjk This is frustrating, because I have not been able to successfully implement each of your suggested updates !

1) The Firefox update to v55.0.1 was successful, and I have Quit/Opened it several times.

2) The 1Password app download has NOT been successful.
    The "Software Update" app for v6.8 seems to finish/quit about 85% thru it's download process, but there is nothing in the Mac Download. Restarting 1Password v6.7.1 does NOT update to the v6.8 version, and re-starting the Mac does NOT update.

3) The Firefox menu of "Add Ons" does NOT seem to have 1Password. I added the "Extension" for 1Password and Wallet", but that did nothing regarding 1Password v6.7.1.

Thus, my situation with 1Password v 6.7.1 and IOS El Capitan v10.11.6 remains the same..."Open and Fill" and Command Backslash and still not working at all.

I will again appreciate any suggestions to get past all this...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

Sorry you ran into trouble with the steps after successfully updating Firefox.

2) The 1Password app download has NOT been successful.

Get the package installer from the downloads page or with this direct link, run that, then open and unlock 1Password after the installation is done.

3) The Firefox menu of "Add Ons" does NOT seem to have 1Password. I added the "Extension" for 1Password and Wallet", but that did nothing regarding 1Password v6.7.1.

Not sure I understand. Do you see any version of the 1Password extension installed?

If it's installed, which version do you see after clicking the More button?

And if it's not installed, try installing it from the 1Password extensions page.

We'll be here in case you need more help with any of this. Cheers!

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@sjk

OK :) I think I'm on the way now...

(2) The earlier link did not take me to "agilebits.com", but once I logged in manually I was able to find, download, and update the 1Password v6.8 (680015). This seems to have solved the problem on some of my websites. I will keep testing to see if all of the problems are solved.

Thank you very much for the guidances...

• rudy
    Options

@Lamplighter,

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.