I have a ridiculously long 1Password pw—is there a way to "expand" this password safely?

Options
boddicker
boddicker
Community Member

I know that TextExpander doesn't work because of secure input and security concerns. Is there a good way to have a really long password and not have to type it in every time? I have Alfred and they have snippet expansion, would that work? Or would that also expose the password to potential malware/keyloggers?

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @boddicker,

Thanks for writing in to ask! One of the things that makes a good master password effective is that it's something only you know, and can't be guessed, found, or figured out by others. Storing your master password in another app (especially in plain text) is a bad idea, as that makes it possible (even if unlikely) that someone will be able to get your master password from that app (via malware, keyloggers, etc).

If it's hard to type, you might want to consider changing your master password to one that is easier to type but still strong. You can also go to 1Password > Preferences > Security and adjust the auto-lock settings there so 1Password won't lock itself as often. Finally, if you happen to be using a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, you can use Touch ID to unlock 1Password.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.