Lost all passwords by upgrading

Options
hanslibuzli
hanslibuzli
Community Member

Hi agile bits team

Most of the time i'm using the browser plugin to access & create my logins so I was really surprised when discovering I was no longer able to open the program in Sierra since my 1Password 4 version is not compatible anymore (1Password cannot be opened because of a problem). So I upgraded to the latest version and deleted the old one.

Unfortunately all my old passwords did not make it to the new version?! I tried to look for a back-up in ~/Library/Containers and ~/Library/Application Support/ but can't find a 1Password.agilekeychain file. Am I missing someting?

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hanslibuzli: Where did you purchase 1Password? From the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store? An AgileKeychain isn't a backup, and you'll only have one if you were syncing with a folder on your Mac. I bet there's a backup there somewhere though. Let me know what you're working with!

• hanslibuzli
    hanslibuzli
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for your fast reply! I downloaded the 1Password app from AgileBits. Are there different versions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hanslibuzli: Yep! Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. The App Store has very strict requirements for where data is stored, so it's different than the AgileBits Store version. In your case, try the following:

1. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
    2. Go to the folder: ~/Library/Application Support/
    3. Open the 1Password 4 folder and look for Backups

Inside you should find .1p4_zip files; these are backup archives. Just grab the most recent one and use File > Restore > Find Backup to select it, and then Restore from it and you should be in good shape. Let me know how you get along! :)

• hanslibuzli
    hanslibuzli
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Hmm unfortunately I dont have a Backups folder?! Please see my screen shot below

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hanslibuzli,

Thank you for the screenshot! If you had been using 1Password 4 on that Mac but you don't have a Backups folder in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/, that could mean it was somehow removed from there, or it could mean you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. You originally said you were "no longer able to open the program in Sierra". Does that mean you're using the same Mac as before and upgraded to Sierra from an older version of OS X / macOS? Or is this a new Mac that you're setting up for the first time?

If it's the same Mac as before, and you upgraded to Sierra but then 1Password 4 stopped working, your 1Password data and backup files should still be there. You said you deleted the 1Password 4 app after downloading 1Password 6. When you deleted 1Password 4, did you by any chance use any app cleaning tool? If so, that may have also deleted your data/backups for 1Password. In that case, do you have a backup of your Mac from before this happened?

On the other hand, if you were previously using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, your data & backups would be in the following location: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/ (Please note the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, and not the top level of your hard drive.)

Do you have that location on your Mac? If so, there should be a Backups folder there which contains .1p4_zip backups of your 1Password data.

If you still can't find your data or backups anywhere, do you have a full backup of your Mac from before the Sierra upgrade? If so, that should have your 1Password data, and we can help you find it. Otherwise, do you have your 1Password data on any other devices? Had you been syncing 1Password with Dropbox or using one of the other sync options?

Let us know what you're able to find, thanks!

• hanslibuzli
    hanslibuzli
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG: Thank you for your extensive feedback and comments! Really appreciate the help!

It seems I have been using 1Passoword previously form the Mac App Store and found a list of .1p4_zip backups in the ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/ directory, unfortunately I don't have a "Restore" in the File menu as @brenty suggested. So I'm not quite sure how to restore my old passwords form here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hanslibuzli: Did you maybe setup 1Password without a local vault? If so, you'll need to enable them in Preferences > Advanced first. Let me know if that helps!

• hanslibuzli
    hanslibuzli
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the tip! That worked great and I was able to import all old passwords from the backup. Thanks for the help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's fantastic news! On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome. I'm really happy to hear you were able to find the backup files and restore your data!

Hopefully you're all set now, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you need more help or have questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.