1Password not locking when mimimized?

Options
jeff2000
jeff2000
Community Member

Is anyone else seeing issues where 1Password does not lock when minimized anymore? I have all settings in the Security enabled. And my timeout to 1min. This happened to me sometime after 1Password went to 6.7.1 or my Mac when to 10.12.5.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff2000,

Thanks for reaching out to ask about this!

To be clear, minimizing the 1Password app window does not cause it to become locked. When it's minimized, it will only lock itself the same way it usually does, according to the Auto-lock settings in 1Password > Preferences > Security.

What might be causing some confusion is that when 1Password is minimized, its icon in the Dock is the lock screen, even if the app isn't actually locked. That's intentional, and it does that to obscure your private data. What might also cause confusion is that when minimizing the app window, it briefly shows an image of the lock screen before shrinking down to the Dock - I think that's a normal side effect of displaying the lock screen image while minimized.

I can definitely see how the lock screen image in the Dock would lead you to think the app is locked, and I apologize for the confusion. Hopefully we can improve the behavior to avoid confusing others in the future.

I hope that helps to clear things up, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-4976

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

UPDATE: Actually I just realized that the minimize lock appears to only work IF I keep my paws off the keyboard. I could have sworn in the past even if I was constantly working, the minimize action would still lock. I just tested again and minimized for 1min 30sec, and this time kept my hands off the keyboard and it came back Locked. So my stupidity here. Unless something changed somewhere down the road. Thank you.

Thank you for the response. It seems even after I leave it minimized though now past the lock after computer idle time it will re-open unlocked. In fact in the Security preferences I have ALL settings checked and my lock after Computer timeout is 1 Minute.

So I just opened 1Password, minimized. Waited for 2 minutes. When I click on the icon in the Tray it opens again still Unlocked.

I have a Teams account if that matters, probably doesnt though. I know it used to not behave that way.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff2000,

Thanks for the update - it sounds like it's working correctly! The "Lock after computer is idle for" setting means the computer itself must be idle for that amount of time, not just the 1Password app. If you're typing, using a mouse/trackpad, etc, that means your computer is not idle, so 1Password will not lock itself.

Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.