Have a lot of duplicate logons, how to delete?

Options
bobgoldstein1passwrd
bobgoldstein1passwrd
Community Member

Is there a function to eliminate duplicate logons? I signed up for the 1Password emergency kit and afterward, I saw a lot of duplicates.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Suddenly, a lotto duplicate logon records

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobgoldstein1passwrd,

Sorry to hear you have some duplicates! There isn't a feature to automatically eliminate duplicate items, but depending on the circumstances, it might be easy to remove them.

You said you "signed up for the 1Password emergency kit". Do you mean you created a 1Password.com account? If so, and the duplicates appeared after migrating your data from your old local Primary vault to your new account vault, it's possible you haven't deleted your Primary vault yet, and that still has copies of the items you migrated to your account. If one set of items is in the Primary vault, and another set of items is in your account vault (Personal or Private), it should be easy to solve this problem by deleting the old Primary vault.

Before doing that, please sign into your account on 1Password.com in a web browser and select your Personal/Private vault. Do you see duplicates of your items in that vault? If you only have one copy of each item there, that means the duplicates must be in another vault.

In the 1Password app on your Mac, do you see the vault switcher in the top left corner of the window? (It might say "All Vaults" or possibly the name of a specific vault.) Click on that - what vaults do you see listed there? Is there one called Primary? If so and you select Primary, does it show a single copy of each item?

Thanks in advance! :)

• bobgoldstein1passwrd
    bobgoldstein1passwrd
    Community Member
    Options

That's very helpful, and I will follow your recommendations. I didn't realize that I was getting a new vault by creating a 1passwortd.com account. I thought I was just getting the emergency kit. I am not completely dumb, and I think maybe your system is overly complex or insufficiently explained. But I have been a customer since the last ice age, and appreciate the good help I always get from AgileBits.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for any confusion about that! The point of the Emergency Kit is to be a safety net for accessing your 1Password.com account. The Emergency Kit is a PDF file that is created once you sign up for an account, and that file contains your account details (and a place to write your master password). We have more information about the Emergency Kit on our support site: 1Password Emergency Kit

An account might be a bit confusing at first because you're used to using 1Password without an account. But we designed 1Password.com accounts to make things easier. For example, you don't need to configure any sync settings for your account, because your account data is automatically synced through our servers. There are many other benefits to a 1Password.com account, and you can read about them here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps to clear up some of the confusion. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need more help with the duplicates or have more questions about how an account works. Cheers! :)

• bobgoldstein1passwrd
    bobgoldstein1passwrd
    Community Member
    Options

Drew, starting with your first reply, I logged into 1password.com and clicked on Categories in the only vault shown there, the one called Personal. I observe that the categories no longer include Identities which I use for filling in personal details on web forms. In the category called Credit cards, I see only one card which happens to be one I very seldom use. What happened to the other 6 or so that show up in my 1Password 6 app on my MAC, when I have it directed to my primary vault? It seems to me that on the MAC app, the only vault that contains what I am used to seeing is the primary; and that my duplicate problem was caused by having the app default to the All Vaults setting, which apparently combined logins from more than one vault.

So at this point, I will use the app on my MAC to display the primary vault and I will have the one and only vault that shows what I am used to using.

I see that having a 1Password.com account has many advantages, but I am dubious about the web version showing only a "Personal" vault that lacks many of my items.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for checking that! It sounds like you only have a few items in your 1Password.com account (in the Personal vault), and the rest of your items are still in the local Primary vault. The reason none of the items in the Primary vault appear in your account is because the Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account - it's the vault you were using before you signed up for an account. It's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your Mac unless you sync it elsewhere by using an option such as Dropbox or iCloud. Because it isn't part of your 1Password.com account, it isn't hosted on our servers and you won't see it when you sign into your account on 1Password.com.

To fix this, all you need to do is move all your items from the local Primary vault to your Personal account vault. It's easy, and we show you how to do that here: Move items between vaults

It sounds like you have some of the same (or similar) items in both your Primary and Personal vaults, so keep in mind that you'll end up with both copies of those items in the same vault after moving them. If you want, you can delete the duplicate copies from one vault before moving your items. Otherwise, you can move the items first and then go through and delete duplicate copies afterwards.

After moving all your items to the Personal account vault, you can delete the local Primary vault to avoid confusion. To do that, switch to the Primary vault and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu bar.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. :)

• bobgoldstein1passwrd
    bobgoldstein1passwrd
    Community Member
    Options

I am presently using my Primary vault on my MAC, and syncing everything through Dropbox to 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and another MAC. This seems to be working well, so I think I would be safer not doing all this copying of items into Personal, and not even having a 1password.com account for now. Because this is working OK, what would be a reason to switch over to the 1Password account?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If the way you had things set up before was working well for you, you can certainly go back to that if you'd like. There are many reasons for switching over to a 1Password.com account though, such as no sync settings to configure (just sign into your account in the app and your data is synced automatically), no future upgrade fees (a subscription includes the latest version of the 1Password app on all supported platforms), the ability to view and edit your data on 1Password.com, and other features that are only possible with an account. Please make sure you check out all the benefits here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

But again, you can certainly go back to the way you were using 1Password if you want to. If you have any data in your account vault that is missing from your Primary vault, just make sure you copy it to the Primary vault before signing out of your account.

If you have more questions, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.