1PasswordAnywhere

tonydow
tonydow
Community Member

As you've been working closely with Dropbox and their new api, would it have been an opportunity to reinstate 1PasswordAnywhere functionality.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ios 10.3.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @tonydow,

We're not looking to resurrect 1PasswordAnywhere. We've created a better solution. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

Why does it not surprise me that your 'better solution' involves a subscription!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonydow: Dropbox involves a subscription too. The key difference is that they have a free version. That's becoming a liability for them, and they've recently been moving to limit free users further. And it's also understandable that 3rd party hacks such as were employed for 1PasswordAnywhere to function are not a priority for them, as it doesn't align with their goals.

We believe in offering products that provide value to people and charging sustainable prices for them. But if you don't see a value in a 1Password.com membership for you personally, you don't have to sign up for one. The best solution is always going to be the one where the interests of companies and their customers are aligned. In the case of 1Password.com, we're offering a service that many people want and are willing to pay for. Everyone involved in that equation benefits, and those outside of it are no worse off than they would be otherwise — and have an opportunity to join at any time if they want to.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@brenty, if not Dropbox and iCloud then what other options do local storage users have? OneDrive sync isn't available in the Apple platforms and iCloud is unsupported in Windows from within 1Password.

I would love to see OneDrive sync supported in iOS. Google Drive? People are always asking for alternative sync options.

The best part of 1PasswordAnywhere was the ability for local vaults to be read via browsers via Dropbox.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@wkleem IMO the more options there are, the more issues you will have. 1Passwordanywwhere isn't even a thing for new people who use Dropbox, it was replaced ny OPVault. When I did use Dropbox, I switched from 1Passwordanywhere to OPVault because I felt it was much more secured (your login data/usernames are much more secured).

I work for a company that relies on other companies, and at times it sucks. The changes they make highly affects me and what I do. This is no different then 1Password relying on 3rd party companies. One of the 3rd party companies makes a changes, it affected all the 1Password customers and at times it's beyond AgileBits control. This is not good for us as a customer or AgileBits as a company. One day Dropbox or any of those companies can say "ya know what, no more free use", and use users are screwed. Personally, I got sick of relying on a 3rd party company to use 1Password, and Dropbox forever lost my trust.

I don't like paying a subscription, but I like the comfort feeling that I no longer need Dropbox (or any 3rd party company), easier to use and set up, works across platforms (unlike iCloud), on multiple computers (unlike wifi sync), I can read AND change my info on any computer (unlike 1PasswordAnywhere, but not a safe thing to do), and "it just works". Dropbox can do whatever they want, I don't care, because I no longer need them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: The thing is, no matter what, somebody's got to host the data, and that isn't free. Dropbox has locked things down more tightly in recent years, and they allowed an exception for 1PasswordAnywhere for as long as they could — arguably much longer than they should. A lot has changed since 2009, both with Dropbox and the browsers. Something like 1PasswordAnywhere (which was a webpage loading data from a local file) just isn't tenable nowadays.

@prime: I doubt that Dropbox will kill the free tier altogether, as it really is a great way into their ecosystem. If I literally had to pay just because I wanted to access something someone else shared with me, that would be a nonstarter. The only reason 1Password Teams took off the way it did, despite not having a truly free option, is that when your company sends you an invite so they can share vaults with you, they're footing the bill. Dropbox is a great sync service, and free accounts are a way for people to get their feet wet before committing.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty I agree about Dropbox and the free tier, but I no longer have to rely on them. A lot of companies also don't allow Dropbox, so again, the subscription has another win.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.