Secret key no longer required?

Options
DaveyDave
DaveyDave
Community Member

I noticed that the release notes for 1Password 6.7 for iOS state:

"The next time you set up 1Password on a new device you will be able to breeze right through setup with nothing but your Master Password."

I'm confused. I've read many posts about people complaining there was no two-factor authentication option for 1Password Families/Teams, and the response from AgileBits has been that the master password and secret key combination was more secure. Now I can set up 1Password on a new device with only my master password?! Am I missing something, or this this a reduction in security?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    edited May 2017
    Options

@DaveyDave,

The secret key along with your email address and server are stored into iCloud keychain so that should you delete the app (a very common troubleshooting step) you don't lock yourself out. We've seen a number of people that don't even realize they have a secret key get into a situation where they've now put all their data into their 1Password.com account only to find that upon deleting the app that they're suddenly and irreparably locked out of their data. It is meant as an additional safeguard against losing your account key.

You can read about it in more detail in this post by @AGKyle: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/373216/#Comment_373216

Rudy

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy Thanks for that information. It eases my mind about the change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped! Think of it as having a digital Emergency Kit. It's a good alternative contingency plan in many scenarios. This way you can authorize a device by entering only the Master Password if it already has access to the rest. We definitely want to help folks avoid data loss where possible. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.