1Password not recognizing URL and giving me full list of logins

I have hundreds of passwords stored with 1Password - but most times it doesn't recognize the website I am on and trying to log in - and just gives me the full list where I have to pick the correct saved item. Is there a way to set it so that once I select a login for a URL it will remember it next time so I don't have to pick from the list every time?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox maybe

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Paul Burner,

1Password should be providing you with a matching Login item for the website you're on. For example, when I click the 1Password button in Chrome when viewing a page of this Forum I get the relevant Login item listed just under the 1Password Mini's search field - see screenshot below:

Is this the area in 1Password where you're seeing a lot of items appearing?

This list should only be populated by Login items that match the current web page based on matching the URL of the page and the website field of the Login items. It sounds like there is some mismatching going on.

Let me know if is the area where you're seeing all the Login items appearing.

Matthew

• Paul Burner
    Paul Burner
    Community Member

Here is what I see when trying to login to one of my wordpress sites (clients.slidearts.com/dev):

And this is only about 1/2 of the list.

Paul

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Paul Burner,

May I ask if all those Login items have a website field with the same top-level domain (the slidearts.com part of clients.slidearts.com/dev) and are only differentiated by the sub-domain (the clients part)?

If that's the case you can make 1Password more strict in it's matching by:

1. Opening 1Password > Preferences > Browsers
    2. Disabling "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites".

If however all these Login items have the same top-level domain and sub-domain (clients.slidearts.com) then 1Password can't differentiate between them.

Hopefully answer to the above question is yes and the suggestion helps - please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Paul Burner
    Paul Burner
    Community Member

Matthew,

Unfortunately - all these start with the same clients.slidearts.com - so you have brought to my attention that maybe I need to come up with a different way of doing this. Thanks for the help.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Sorry about this limitation @Paul Burner,

I'm glad at least that we know what the issue is. Hopefully it's not too much work to change this. Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Matthew

• janwh
    janwh
    Community Member

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

I'm currently experiencing the same problem with multiple logins showing up because if a matching (sub)domain name, but not the subdirectory. Unfortunately I am not in the position to change the URL scheme, because it's my employer's system.

I would really love to see a finer grained control for matching the website field. Any change, we'll see something like that added as a feature in the future? Something like an advanced option to enable exact matches or the ability to enter regex patterns?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@janwh: It's something we can consider, but it's a very uncommon use case. If we did that, it would result in "missing" logins for almost everyone. In the vast majority of cases — excluding a webdev working on their own site — users do not have any control over the login URL. These often change over time as sites adjust. Having a login for https://example.com/login not show a saved login just because the full address is different (say https://example.com/login.php — a file instead of a folder) would pretty much break 1Password for all other use cases. So again, while it's something that we can consider, I think there are much better reasons not to do this. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.