Trash passwords generated

Options
skorg264
skorg264
Community Member

I'm just curious if there is a general suggestion in regards to cleaning up old passwords. Would there be a reason to save only passwords (not the logins) if I've converted them to login items or if I haven't used any in a year's time or more?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.7 (670008)
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @skorg264,

That's a great question. I don't think there's a one size fits all answer, so let's look at the different cases.

Password items for which you have matching login items. In general this shouldn't really happen unless you're duplicating these items manually. If you're able to have this happen without manually duplicating the information then I'd love to hear how you're doing it so that we can get a bug filed if needed. Typically when you use the "Convert to Login" it should leave you with a single Login item with no resulting Password item.

I would simply trash/delete any Password items for which I have an equivalent Login item.

Unused login items. Every now and again I go looking for login items that I have to accounts I haven't used in a long time. Most of the time I look at it and decide that while I haven't used it in a long time I might still want to use that so I just leave it be. Sometimes I'll find a good candidate for an account I don't want in my life anymore. In that case I usually try to login to the site (assuming the site still exists) and I do my best to find any functionality they might have that would let me actually delete my account. If they don't have that then I'll do what I can to remove information myself. If the password isn't a strong unique password I make sure that it is (it's important that all accounts have this, even those you want nothing to do with). Once I've done my due diligence it's time to trash the login and forget about it.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rick. Very helpful. Interestingly enough, while I did not confirm every password I have to see if it matched a login (I have 125 passwords) I did find one that matched the login. The others were all different; most likely because of updating passwords.

Even if I did delete a password that wasn't converted to a login (the odd site here and there where I had to set one up but is not a regularly used on) I can always send an email to set up new password. At that point, just to be consistent, I'd probably convert to login to prevent building up a bunch of passwords again.

Also appreciated the tip to remember to try to delete account before trashing any unused logins. I'm assuming though (just asking your opinion in this) if no personal info was ever divulged that it's ok to just delete the login and not worry about deleting the account? Especially if it was only used on rare occasions? What are your thoughts on that?

• Also appreciated the tip to remember to try to delete account before trashing any unused logins. I'm assuming though (just asking your opinion in this) if no personal info was ever divulged that it's ok to just delete the login and not worry about deleting the account? Especially if it was only used on rare occasions? What are your thoughts on that?

It's probably fine. It's a bigger issue if you re-used a password on that site. In that case you absolutely want to make sure it gets a unique password before you throw it away.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.