TouchID is Painfull ...

steaven
steaven
Community Member

Hello,

I have the problem that my fingerprint sometimes won't be accepted.
Currently I am not sure for the reason but I often also miss the button in 1password
to login with TouchID (won't shown up within the app).

I missing a way to make configurations to keep the request for Touch ID button
on login screen permanently there?

What can I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @steaven !

Thanks for reaching out! :)

Great question! Touch ID may become disabled for a couple of reasons:

• If you’ve canceled the Touch ID prompt
    • If you’ve restarted your device

Additionally, sometimes you will have to enter your master password instead of using Touch ID:

• If your fingerprint isn’t recognized three times in a row
    • If you tapped Settings > Security > Lock Now
    • If you’re trying to change your Master Password
    • If Require Master Password is set to After Device Restart in Settings > Advanced > Security, and you’ve just restarted your device
    • If the amount of time in Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password has elapsed

Currently, there is no way to force the Touch ID option to permanently stay available. Although I can't make any promises in regards to whether or not this will be implemented, I'll be sure to pass along your feedback to the rest of the team.

Feel free to give me nudge if you have any other questions or concerns! Thanks, @steaven !

• tcoates
    tcoates
    Community Member

I am having the same problem with 1P . my touch ID works everytime with a couple of other apps and i know 1p doesnt do the scanning ... so do you have any suggestions? i have a long, complex master that is no problem on my MacPro, but a real pain on the iPhone6

thanks in advance

tom

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tcoates,

Hmm, that's very strange, and I can't think of any reason why Touch ID wouldn't work just as well in 1Password as in your other apps. As you already know, the fingerprint scanning is done by the device itself (hardware and the operating system), so 1Password has no control over that. iOS tells 1Password whether or not Touch ID worked - so if it doesn't work, that's because iOS is telling 1Password that your fingerprint wasn't accepted.

You can to try rebooting your iPhone to see if that helps (i.e. completely power it off and then boot it up again). If not, you might want to delete your fingerprints (from the Settings app > Touch ID & Passcode) and then re-enter them.

There are also some more thorough steps to disable and re-enable Touch ID on your iPhone if you want to try that, although I really can't say for sure if it will make a difference:

1. Open 1Password, go to Settings > Security, and disable Touch ID.
    2. Open the Settings app and go to Touch ID & Passcode (enter the device passcode when prompted).
    3. Disable the "Use Touch ID For" settings.
    4. Hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again.
    5. Unlock your iPhone with the passcode.
    6. Open the Settings app and go to Touch ID & Passcode (enter the device passcode when prompted).
    7. Enable the "Use Touch ID For" settings.
    8. Open 1Password, go to Settings > Security, and enable Touch ID.

We'll be interested to hear how it all goes and if anything helps. Cheers! :)

• tcoates
    tcoates
    Community Member

Hi Drew
    Thanks for your quick response .. (typical great service from AB) ...

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either ... I moved my main sync file to a different place in DBOX so i could control where my wife's vault is and in the process change my file format to the new one .. just resyncing my iPhone now ..

I am hoping that upgrading the new vault file will magically fix this problem (yes, i know, desperation) .. I hesitate to undo the TOUCH ID which works great for other apps ... in my defense, your suggestion is not terribly more logical .. though it could be as making all new links, now that all teh involved apps are in their newest version has some attraction ..

I will let you know ..

1P is great by the way ... FINALLY after several years, i think i might get my wife to use it ..

Best

Tom

• Thanks for the kind words, and the update Tom. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.