Mac OS Sierra Sync to dropbox

redrover
redrover
Community Member

I am attempting to sync or backup my MacOS files but It appears what is on your tutorial is different than what I see on my software.
Here is the screen shot in your tutorial:

And here is the screen shot of what I have on my software:

Am I missing something here? I would like to sync and/or backup to Dropbox since we have many devices of different OSes and I do not see a Sync or backup command anywhere on my copy of 1Password.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Redrover

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sync on mac os?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you are on the fairly recent version of 1PW you have a subscription. This syncs automatically using 1Password's servers, so there is no need for a sync option.

The older version (actually same program, just different setup) used a one-time licence and left you to set up Dropbox sync for yourself.

It looks as though the documentation has not been updated, or possibly you got to an old page.

• rickfillion
    edited May 2017

Hi @redrover,

What Danco said there is correct. What you're seeing is the preference pane when you've got 1Password.com account set up. If you're looking to sync to another device you should follow the instructions on this page:
    https://support.1password.com/add-device/

Could you tell us where you found the screenshot that you posted so that we can make sure to look at that support page to see if might need updating?

I hope this helps.

Rick

• redrover
    redrover
    Community Member

The preferences page I got from your tutorials was titled:

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

And addressed:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

The link you gave me gives me no information about how to sync to dropbox. It only tells me how to first set up an account and I am well beyond that point.

My question is still: How do I sync to Dropbox on this version of 1Password?

Thanks,

Redrover

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And the responding question is still: Why do yoou want to use Dropbox?

I do realise that there may be reasons that seem good to you, but in your first post you said

I would like to sync and/or backup to Dropbox since we have many devices of different OSes

One of the major advantages of the 1password.com account is that you never have to setup Dropbox on all those different devices, as they will sync automatically.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @redrover,

Just to reiterate what danco and Rick have explained: You don't need to use Dropbox (or any other third party sync service) with 1Password because you have a 1Password.com account, so your 1Password data is automatically synced through our own servers. You don't have any sync settings in the Preferences window because you don't need them - one of the benefits of a 1Password.com account is that there are no sync settings to configure.

To sync your 1Password data to another device, all you need to do is install the 1Password app on that device and sign into your account. Your data will automatically be downloaded there. We have more information here: Sign in to your 1Password account on a new device

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion. Please let us know if you have more questions or need help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.