Mac & iPhone do not keep (old) notes in sync

ConcreteVitamin
ConcreteVitamin
Community Member

Here's a weird symptom I'm seeing. Initially, say, I had three notes, named A, B, and C. These appeared on both my iPhone and Mac.

Then, I renamed the notes, using my iPhone, to A', B', and C'. The new names showed correctly on my phone, but NOT on the Mac.

A while (weeks) later I added a note D on my phone. It did not sync to my Mac.

Yet another while later, today I created a new note E on my phone. It showed up on my Mac.

I went ahead next to create a new note F on my Mac. It showed up on my phone.

Now here's the question: is there anyway I can "make my iPhone's data the source of truth"? Would something like removing the app from Mac and re-installing achieve this?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Don't know

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now here's the question: is there anyway I can "make my iPhone's data the source of truth"? Would something like removing the app from Mac and re-installing achieve this?

@ConcreteVitamin: No. This just isn't possible with bidirectional syncing. Changes made on either device will sync to the other. The only exception to this is a 1Password.com account, wherein the server is the "source of truth" and handles syncing data to and from all of the clients.

As far as troubleshooting the issue you're having, I'd really need to know what sync method you're using. There may be something I can recommend, but it really depends on the details.

• ConcreteVitamin
    ConcreteVitamin
    Community Member

@brenty According to https://support.1password.com/sync-options/, I don't think I've set up any of the advanced options, and I do have a family plan membership. So I'm guessing the sync method is membership. Please let me know if you need any other diagnostic info.

• ConcreteVitamin
    ConcreteVitamin
    Community Member

Note that when I log into my vault online, the secure notes are correct (in sync with my iPhone). The Macbook seems to be the only problematic device.

• @ConcreteVitamin

It appears you have two different 1Password accounts. Are you sure both devices are logged into the same account?

Please let me know.

Ben

• ConcreteVitamin
    ConcreteVitamin
    Community Member

@Ben yes, the account used on my Mac and that on my iPhone are the same: they have the same sign-in address, email address, and secret key.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ConcreteVitamin: That definitely doesn't sound normal. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your devices, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• ConcreteVitamin
    ConcreteVitamin
    Community Member

@brenty thanks, I've sent two separate emails for the two devices. The support ID I received is #WWC-26622-543.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ConcreteVitamin: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: WWC-26622-543

This discussion has been closed.